S-Video connect to LCD TV

RonH
SilverLounger

S-Video connect to LCD TV

Post by RonH »

I am trying to connect my 15.6" laptop (Vista) to my LCD 32" TV using an S-Video to S-Video cable. Picture comes up OK on the TV (though not a good quality) but my laptop desktop screen (and mirrored TV screen) is all rearranged eg the shortcuts etc are re-grouped for some reason and I have to reset them all after disconnecting the TV. Also the laptop screen is 'enlarged' such that I do not get all of the desktop in view.

My pc also has a VGA as has the TV. Is it better to use this? Whilst the TV has HDMI (which I use with a digital decoder for the TV) I do not have this on the pc. The TV is a new model and the pc a HP 6000 series.

Any ideas to help please :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: S-Video connect to LCD TV

Post by StuartR »

I have moved this post from our Graphics Software forum to the Hardware forum, as I don't think it is a graphics software issue.

The symptoms you describe are what would be expected if the laptop is trying to reproduce the screen on an external monitor with a limited pixel count.

What operating system are you running. It might be better if you can configure the PC as a second monitor with a different resolution to the laptop, rather than as a clone of the laptop screen,
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Stuart,

As indicated I run Vista.
How do I configure the TV as a second monitor with a different resolution to the laptop, rather than as a clone of the laptop screen?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

RonH wrote:...How do I configure the TV as a second monitor with a different resolution to the laptop, rather than as a clone of the laptop screen?
Right click on the background.
Choose Personalize from the menu
Click Display settings
Select monitor 2
Drag monitor 2 to the place you want it to appear on the logical desktop (right, left, above, below your laptop)
Select "Extend the desktop onto this monitor"
2 Monitors.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

This S-Video seems a bit rubbishy ... think I will look at other options.
Thanks for your help Stuart.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.