Laptop Does Not See Router's 5 GHz Band

BobH
UraniumLounger

Laptop Does Not See Router's 5 GHz Band

Post by BobH »

I've searched and haven't found an answer to this but have seen that others have had the problem. Solutions suggested either didn't fit my situation or didn't work.

I have a Linksys router. When I use my browser to look at it, I see that there is a 2.4 GHz band and a 5 GHz ban named Niko and Kadence, respectively.
Linksys Networks.PNG
I cannot see Kadence, the 5 GHz network on my laptop under Settings > Network and Internet > Wifi > Show Available Networks. I can see wifi networks in the neighborhood, but not the one from the router 3 feet from my laptop In fact, I cannot find which of the listed network devices is the active Network Adapter.
network adapters.PNG
Can someone please point me in a direction that will lead to resolving this issue? :cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Laptop Does Not See Router's 5 GHz Band

Post by JoeP »

If you are connected via Wi-Fi, the active adapter is the Wi-Fi adapter - Realtek RTL8188EE. With device manager, you are looking at devices not the network as defined by your router. To see the network nodes open Settings. Go to Network and Internet. Then Wi-Fi.
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Is the answer simply that your Realtek WiFi adapter supports the 2.4 GHz band only, and not the 5 GHz band?

I have an elderly Lenovo laptop which exhibits precisely the same ignorance of 5 GHz... :sad:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In the op you see the screenshot taken of my router information.

In this screenshot you see the result of Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi > Show available networks. Note that Kadence, the 5GHz network is not displayed in the popup list.
no 5GHz.PNG
Yes, the laptop supports 5GHz as I have used it in the past on this system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

More information:
I checked the Realtek Network Adapter properties. As you can see it does not list a 5GHz property in the Advanced settings list. I have no idea why this is the case. The 802.11d property is disabled.

I went back to Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi > Manage known networks and did not find the Kadence network listed; so, I added it. It now appears in the Manage known networks list but still does not appear in the Show available networks popup list. I have been scrolling that list to be sure I see all the networks listed.

One other thing: I failed to mention that I run the Mozilla VPN. Could this be interfering with the 5GHz band network?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I realized that I failed to mention that I rebooted after adding the Kadence, 5GHz network.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Further research into the Realtek network adapter reveals that it is a single band card.

I apologize for the misinformation. It is possible that I never used the 5GHz band on this computer but did on a desktop.

Thank you all for your help!!!!
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John Gray hit the nail on the head: your RTL8188EE provides 2.4 GHz only:
The Realtek RTL8188EE is an 802.11bgn 2.4G single-chip that integrates Wireless LAN (WLAN) and a network PCIe interface controller.
Best wishes,
Hans