USB Hub vs. Express Card

Rudi
gamma jay

USB Hub vs. Express Card

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

I'm looking to add to my laptops USB ports. I have been reading up on articles and before I go out and buy anything I thought I'd get some input from any loungers who might already have this hardware or have knowledge about the best route to go. I be happy with at least two extra ports, but the rest is up to your guidance...

First:
USB 3.0 Hub vs. Express Card?
Any pro's and con's I should know about between the two options?

Second:
If USB hub is better, I hear it must be powered by AC to be any worth; yet I see plenty of options for up to 4 USB 3.0 ports on a single USB powered hub (no AC power). Do these USB powered hubs really work well with high speed data transfer. Will the single powered hub provide enough power to the 4 ports without lag or data failure. Any opinions or input would be appreciated.

TIA
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: USB Hub vs. Express Card

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Rudi!

Having no experience with express cards, I cannot speak about them; however, I bought a couple of Sabrent external USB hubs (a USB 2 and a 3) last year. They are powered by the AC mains. Each has 8 or 10 ports. I use about 3/4ths of them for various gadgets and for keeping cords for iPhones and BlueTooth headphones readily available for recharging or downloading. They have given me no problems. I chose Sabrent after looking a several different products and concluding that these seemed to be better designs.

HTH
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Whether you use a mains-powered or USB-powered hub depends entirely on what you want to connect, bearing in mind that a USB-powered hub will be sharing the maximum 0.5A current from one USB laptop socket among however many devices are attached to the hub.

USB Flash Drives and a USB mouse draw very little current, but a USB-powered external hard drive may take too much power (that's why you sometimes get a double USB plug for these, to draw up to 1A).

Summarised: you shouldn't have an problems with a mains-powered USB hub, but you might be able to get away with a USB-powered USB hub.
John Gray

If you are having problems with solitude, you are not alone.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Good advice Bob and John.

I had just finished reading this article which contains the same advice too (quoted below).
This is good to know and means I must start thinking about what exactly I plan to plug into the ports after i have purchased one.
If you’re using a little USB travel hub, like the Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub, you’re limited to the maximum amount of power the USB port the hub is attached to can provide. This is more than fine for a simple setup like adding an external keyboard and mouse to your laptop to create a more comfortable workstation, but once you start adding more demanding devices into the mix like USB hard drives and the like the lack of power quickly becomes a problem.

In such a case the problem is completely resolved by using a powered USB hub. Each port on the USB hub will receive full USB-standard power with no dips in power or devices disconnecting for want of a stable connection. Especially for projects like adding peripherals to the Raspberry Pi microcomputer, a powered USB hub is mission critical as the host device just can’t crank out enough juice for a bevy of attached devices.
Regards,
Rudi

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Also these USB powered devices will drain your laptop battery real quick.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Dave.
That is something to take note of, though in my case the laptop is plugged into power almost exclusively.
Regards,
Rudi