Windows Media Player

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Media Player

Post by Gloria E »

Windows Media Video (.wmv) files were found on my computer. There are 128 of them and take up 180.78 MB's. I tried to remove them and access was denied with this error message:
File Access Denied. You need permission from Trusted Installer to make changes to this file. I went to Properties > Secirotu tab and attempted to change or remove Trusted Installer, that failed too.

What must I do to remove .wmv files? Please don't ask why I want them removed, I just do.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Media Player

Post by HansV »

In which folder(s) did you find the .wmv files?
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You need to take ownership of the files. See Windows 7 – How to Delete Files Protected by TrustedInstaller for illustrated step-by-step instructions.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:In which folder(s) did you find the .wmv files?
The files were in Program Files\DVD Maker|Shared|DVD|Styles and then the files name.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you delete these .wmv files, you won't be able to use the associated styles if you use the DVD Maker program to create a DVD...
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:You need to take ownership of the files. See Windows 7 – How to Delete Files Protected by TrustedInstaller for illustrated step-by-step instructions.
Wonderful site, Hans. Thanks for the link. I will follow the instructions given as soon as possible. :thankyou:

Gloria E

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:If you delete these .wmv files, you won't be able to use the associated styles if you use the DVD Maker program to create a DVD...
Thanks but I have no intention of ever using the DVD Maker, so the files can be removed with impunity. :evilgrin:

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Gloria E wrote:I have no intention of ever using the DVD Maker
So would it not be more logical to uninstall the whole application rather than just deleting some of its files?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think you were supposed not to ask that... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:I think you were supposed not to ask that... :evilgrin:
No Hans, What I said was I didn't want to be ask WHY I wanted to remove the files.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

stuck wrote:
Gloria E wrote:I have no intention of ever using the DVD Maker
So would it not be more logical to uninstall the whole application rather than just deleting some of its files?

Ken
Now why didn't I think of that? Don't answer that, I know why I didn't and it's not flattering. It must have come with the Windows 7 install because it hasn't been installed yet. It doesn't appear in the control panel nor in my uninstaller program. I will removed the .exe application file and that should be the end of that little problem.

Thanks, my friend, for the suggestion. :thankyou:

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since it's part of Windows, you have to do it as follows:
- Click Start > Control Panel.
- Open the Programs and Features control panel.
- Click "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left hand side.
- Expand "Media Features".
- Clear the check box for "Windows DVD Maker".
- Click OK.
uninstalldvdmaker.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Gloria E wrote:I will removed the .exe application file and that should be the end of that little problem.
When I suggested you uninstall the whole application I was not aware that it was actually part of Windows 7. This means it will only be the end of your problem if you uninstall it in the way that Hans has shown you.

Ken

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Since it's part of Windows, you have to do it as follows:
- Click Start > Control Panel.
- Open the Programs and Features control panel.
- Click "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left hand side.
- Expand "Media Features".
- Clear the check box for "Windows DVD Maker".
- Click OK.
uninstalldvdmaker.png
Success! :clapping: the program is gone and only the .exe file showed up in the registry. That too was deleted which means that the program was on my computer but had not been installed.

Thank you so much for the clear and accurate instructions. :thankyou:

Gloria E