TeraCopy

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

TeraCopy

Post by Bigaldoc »

I was reading Jeff's thread about deleting files at Eileen's Lounge • Can these files be safely deleted? and I was reminded of a slightly different topic that can also sometimes be frustrating, at least in XP - the process of copying or moving a group of files from one folder to another or (in my case) an external USB SDHC card.

If you're doing a copy or move of a large group of files and Windows has a problem, it just aborts the whole job, at least in my experience. Someone in the older Lounge pointed out a nice piece of free software that I've used with satisfaction, so I thought I'd mention: Copy your files faster with TeraCopy.

I only use it when I need to copy files to my camera or smartphone card and it works like a charm. It doesn't have to be running. Right-click drag-n-drop in Windows Explorer produces this choice menu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Re: TeraCopy

Post by Pilgrim »

Al,

This utility piqued my interest so I downloaded and installed it. However, I do NOT see the context menu items as you show in the attachment. I only have one item: "TeraCopy..." which when clicked opens TeraCopy dialog box. I've uninstalled and installed it twice but still no context menu items as you have. My old "Copy To/Move To" add-on was much easier to use than what I currently have to do with TeraCopy. Any ideas why these context menu items aren't displayed? (Windows Vista)
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pilgrim wrote:... I do NOT see the context menu items as you show in the attachment. I only have one item: "TeraCopy..."
I'm not sure which OS you're trying it in, Jeff. I don't have it installed in Vista or Win7 so my example is from XP.

My clip was achieved by, in Windows Explorer, selecting a number of files in the right pane and then dragging the group with the right mouse button to a different location in the left pane. Doing that opens the context menu I showed.

IF you select a group of files in the right pane and THEN right-click your mouse, you DO get something like this shot. I've never noticed before that only the one Tera option is shown there. BTW I still have the copy to/move to that I also use on occasion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Al,

Gotcha! Followed your destructions and I indeed get the items in the resulting context menu. I'm guessing that the advantage of using TeraCopy isn't convenience, since the old "Copy To/Move To" add-on is certainly more so, but rather TeraCopy better regulates transfers (copy or move) better to prevent or at least minimize system freeze or significant slowdowns when large chunks of data are involved.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

You got that right, Jeff. Normally, when I'm just copying or moving one or a few files within my internal drives, I use the copy to/move to because it's easy and doesn't require any dragging.

It's the "busted" efforts for which I use TeraCopy and for me that's mostly to or from a USB device with a fair number of files. TeraCopy hasn't let me down on that score.