Display Text File on-Screen

BillW
3StarLounger

Display Text File on-Screen

Post by BillW »

Many, Many years ago I believe I could enter a command that displayed the contents of a text file on the screen without opening and holding onto the file like an editor would do today. Is there any way to do that in Windows Vista today?

BTW, I used to use VAX computers a lot and it just occurred to me that maybe that was where I was able to do that!

Thanks,
Bill

HansV
Administrator

Re: Display Text File on-Screen

Post by HansV »

The Notepad application that comes with Windows opens a text file without locking it - you can delete the file in Windows Explorer while it's open in Notepad.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

If you open a Command Prompt window in the appropriate directory/folder you could do either
type thefile.txt
or
more < thefile.txt
(you choose!)...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

HansV wrote:The Notepad application that comes with Windows opens a text file without locking it - you can delete the file in Windows Explorer while it's open in Notepad.
I hadn't realized that! Thanks Hans.

John: Is there any way to combine the opening of the command prompt window and issuing the Type command, all from one .BAT file? Thanks for the suggestion in in any case.

Bill