Looking for screen shot navigation

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Looking for screen shot navigation

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I am thinking of creating a presentation using some type of computer screen shot video to help teach other home inspectors. I have a combination of videos, still pictures along with some simple navigation around a word document and excel 2007. I thought of maybe using Power Point but wasn’t sure if it’s capable of live screen shot type of navigation.
Of course I would like to have sound to narrate the instructions. And of course some type of freeware would be nice. :grin:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Looking for screen shot navigation

Post by HansV »

Perhaps you can use the free version of Expression Encoder 4.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

A LONG time ago when I was looking, someone recommended ZD Soft Screen Recorder but I never got around to trying it, AND it isn't free (but not high priced either).

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

HansV wrote:Perhaps you can use the free version of Expression Encoder 4.
Hi Hans
I downloaded Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 (Free version)
But I seem to be having a problem with recording when performing a screen capture. After I have set the area of the screen that I want to capture and then start recording, the screen then goes blank / White while it is recording. I can move my mouse around and it does record the mouse but nothing else. I looked over the instructions but found nothing that seems to cover this problem.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry, I don't have this program myself, so I can't help you. Hopefully someone else has experience with it.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You might want to check out the free version of Jing from Techsmith, the makers of the well regarded screen capture program Snagit.

Joe
Joe

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Out of a list of 70+ Presentation apps the one that seems to get the best response is

Wink (tutorial maker) - http://www.debugmode.com/wink/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: forgot about Jing as mentioned by others here.

Jing - http://www.jingproject.com/features/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by wasbit on 29 Nov 2010, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
wasbit

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

JoeP wrote:You might want to check out the free version of Jing from Techsmith, the makers of the well regarded screen capture program Snagit.

Joe
I have used Jing exclusively on my XP desktop and highly recommend it for its ease of use. Jing is great and easy to maneuver, even on my 7 laptop.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Great thread. Based on Hey Jude's recommendation I downloaded the app. I think I'm going to make a lot of use of this app.

Thank you, All!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Very Cool, thank you everyone, I will check them out and see if they will fulfill my needs.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I just downloaded the free version of Jing, and am pleasantly surprised how easy it is to use. I’ll put it through a bigger test in the next few days and see what kind of results I get.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

BobH wrote:Great thread. Based on Hey Jude's recommendation I downloaded the app. I think I'm going to make a lot of use of this app.

Thank you, All!
Here's a sample--best part is you can copy/paste an executable link the first time after you have captured your screen shot.

http://screencast.com/t/TlTkOIhFr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

ABabeNChrist wrote:I just downloaded the free version of Jing, and am pleasantly surprised how easy it is to use. I’ll put it through a bigger test in the next few days and see what kind of results I get.
I gave Jing a work over and it is quite a useful tool. But I found that it produces a .swf file which is not compatible with downloading onto YouTube.
There is another software called Moyea at http://www.moyeasoft.com/ that will concert this .swf file into a .mpg file that is used on YouTube but this software cost in the neighborhood of $50 US dollars. They do have a trail version but it uses a water mark.
This software does work quite well for adding to website. with the use of Internet Explorer

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

that will concert this .swf file into a .mpg
A quick Google, gave me http://www.lumixsoft.com/swftoavi/tutor ... f2mpeg.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

disclaimer, never tried it.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Hey Jude wrote:I have used Jing exclusively on my XP desktop and highly recommend it for its ease of use. Jing is great and easy to maneuver, even on my 7 laptop.
I have downloaded the free version of Jing, and am pleasantly impressed with it. However I am unable to find any information on the length of time after uploading a file will remain available for viewing, or the amount of data one can upload. Can anyone out there educate me?

T.I.A.
Regards
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is the only thing I can find:
x471.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Thank you Hans.
    I suffer from refrigerator blindness. :thankyou:
Regards
Don