ConvertXtoDVD

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

ConvertXtoDVD

Post by Dave Davison »

Recently version 3 of "ConvertX" that I am using resulted in the occasional DVD picture stalling spazmodically during playback or the sound being out of sincronisation with the movements. When contacting VSO about these issues they suggested I upgrade to version 4 which -of course- entails a fee. [no automatic update it seems] I fail to see why the aged version should give this end result when it -in my opinion- it should keep on doing what it was designed to do. As with most updates of software progs, they ususally come with some/ most or all the former app plus a few enhanced ones to boot but which the user may not really want. This happened when Microssoft in Office 2003 replaced Photo Editor with Picture Mananger which had some new app but dropped others. My question is, is there a free Video Converter program that I can download to replace the ConvertX version 3?

Thanks a lot. Dave.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: ConvertXtoDVD

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can't answer the freebie question, Dave, but first...

Why don't you try un-installing it and then re-install. Maybe some little thing has gotten corrupt. I always un-install rather than install over the top which often doesn't correct a corrupt file. (Revo Uninstaller suggested.)

Also to think about, have you installed any new software or hardware lately that might be causing the problem?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The answer to your question is almost certainly yes. A simple Google search for 'free video converter' turns up lots of hits but I've no idea which one to recommend.

Adding the word 'reviews' to the Google keywords turns up lots of opinions but I still can't recommend anything!

Hopefully someone else here can narrow things down a bit for you.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And, if you don't find a satisfactory free one, I would recommend AVS4YOU® since it's lifetime fee entitles you to use ALL of their software. I don't remember whether I paid $49 or $59 a few years ago but it's been worth it for I use several of their apps and can update free.

I do know for sure, that I didn't pay $199 as their web page says is the "regular" price! The offer says until November 30...

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gentlemen, yep I have downloaded various things in the recent past so that could be a factor. I have scoured the net and discover that there are countless video converters available [some free] but just wondered if anyone could save me the time by recommending one or two having proved them. Maybe someone else will read this thread who can chip in with a possible gem. Regards Dave.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Re: ConvertX - If it was working fine there would seem to be no reason for it not to work properly again. Uninstall, reboot & re-install.

If you said what type of file you were trying to convert to DVD it would be easier to give a more specific answer but here are two free universal converters :

Mediacoder (multi-type converter) - http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super - http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards
wasbit
Regards
wasbit

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

As ever, many thanks for the advice, if the error/s present themselves again I will certainly follow the uninstall procedure suggested and also look at the two freebies mentioned, much obliged.

PS...just got a ping indicating email arriving and note that one is the "Give Away" of the day which just happens to relate to this topic. I have downloaded it but will not install till I maybe get a comment from a lounger as to it's calibre. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not sure I'd consider a "Downlaoder" as a professional tool... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

..............please be a little more precise, should I delete this seeing I have NOT yet installed it? Would you treat with caution anything offered by "Give away of the day"? I was led to believe it offered OK progs! Would it be more prudent to go for one of the two suggested by wasbit? Thank you Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave, I was just ribbing you because of the spelling error in the e-mail (downlaoder instead of downloader).

I have no experience with or opinion about Foxreal software.

Free software from Give away of the day can be useful, but you often won't be able to update/upgrade it later on.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And, not only what Hans just said about upgrading, a number of folks have had problems because at some later time, if you have some kind of problem or crash, the free d/l of the day can no longer be re-installed. I've only tried their offer once but haven't heard anyone here gripe about the reliability of that site.

Also like Hans I haven't heard of Foxreal, but what the heck, you can always uninstall it if it doesn't do the job you want.

P.S. Foxreal.Com must be swamped with the giveaway. I couldn't get a response from the URL.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

...thanks each...as I've said many times...thanks to all the contributers of this lounge.....I have learned over many moons not to take things too seriously but when it comes to this technology I treat comments / advice carefully as the consequences can prove expensive. My two fingered typing these days is abysmal so I rely heavily on the spellchecker, not that I am the world's worst speller but my two fingers seem to run ahead of my brain as some of my posts will confirm and I fail to pick them up when I re-read the post. It is quite amazing how many spelling and grammar mistakes there are these days especially on the net, makes one wonder if people take any notice of the spellchecker highlights. In conclusion I must say the ConvertX prog is very user friendly and if it appeared again in some mag like ComputerActive [through whom I purchased it in the first place at a special reduced price to readers] I would go for the latest version. Till then it must remain Version 3. Regards Dave.
:scratch: :scratch: any prospect of this lounge having a spellchecker that highlights spelling errors...or is there already one that my eyes can't see???

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have moved the posts discussing spell checking in the lounge to a new thread in the Lounge Matters forum.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

........answer to the question in post 33802, the URL for the site from which I am downloading videos is
http://radiofreechurch.com/speaker_display/1...don't" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; know what format the videos are in though. The screen shot shows
one downloaded video [from a different site] with the icon of a cone which does reveal the format when the cursor is placed over it whereas those downloaded form the link above do not. eg.[the one to the left of the cone icon just says Type: File.] ??
Regards again Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The one of type "File" apparently doesn't have an extension; this means it is not (easily) possible to determine its format. But the videos on the site you mention appear to be .flv (Flash video).
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks.... I might email the web master of the said site and ask him to confirm the format as I tried to covert number three on the list using one of the video converters on my HD but it rejected it as unrecognisable. The one on the right of the screen shot [shown as Type: File] is in fact number 3 from the site in question. Regards Dave.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

There are a host of video downloaders but they won't find the stream from such sites as your link. For that you need a (free) sniffing programme eg

Free HTTP Sniffer - http://www.cleanersoft.com/sniffer/free ... niffer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Media Sniffer - http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediasniffer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards
wasbit

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks wasbit...............I suspect that is going off the beaten track as far as I am concerned. Regards Dave.