Emailias mail forwarding service has closed

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Emailias mail forwarding service has closed

Post by John Gray »

Apologies for this thread, which will be of no interest whatever to most members - but considerable interest to a very few!

It seems that Emailias closed on 5th November, with no notification to most of its users. The only thread I can find with information about this closure appears to be here. Let's hope any user took the option to download a spreadsheet of their alias names in the recent past...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Emailias mail forwarding service has closed

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've never heard of them, so this is probably of no help, John.

When I first "signed up" for Yahoo Mail, I wanted the ability to access from Thunderbird (POP), but I had to pay for their Yahoo Mail Plus service. It isn't cheap and I've been thinking about dumping it since my use is minimal. But, the service allows aliases although I never tried that since I use my domain email for that purpose.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Al - this is one possible service I've been (rapidly) looking at! At the moment, Spamex looks the closest to Emailias, but Spamex appears not to have had any upgrades for about seven years. (It just needs to be kept going, though.)

There's also the GMail address format my.name+info@gmail.com, which will ignore the "+info" data and pass the email onto my.name@gmail.com (remembering of course that in the 'local part' of a GMail address, all '.' characters are ignored!)...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My first (dial-up) ISP let me use as many aliases as I wanted, though I did have to set up a filter in the webmail client to then redirect stuff straight to trash when I'd finished with each one.

I then choose my broadband ISP very carefully so I could once again have as many aliases as I want. I also have greater control over them. I create aliases via my ISP account pages and then wait for a notification that it's available, don't think it's ever taken more than 5 mins. When I no longer need it I simply delete it via my account pages. I've never tried it but I presume I could recreate something I'd deleted if I ever needed to.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I purchased a domain name that automatically forwards anything.at.all@mydomain.com
I create new email addresses each time I need them, and use filtering at my end to trash stuff for addresses that have become less than useful.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Unfortunately if you have cable you're stuck (ho-ho!) with the very limited number of aliases you are allowed.

I've looked briefly at the 'email domain' idea and that could be a way out (and not tied to the whims of an ISP or an email forwarder), provided there's some decent filtering from 'somewhere'. I don't think I'd want to rely purely on Outlook...
John Gray

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

John Gray wrote:Unfortunately if you have cable you're stuck (ho-ho!) with the very limited number of aliases you are allowed.

I've looked briefly at the 'email domain' idea and that could be a way out (and not tied to the whims of an ISP or an email forwarder), provided there's some decent filtering from 'somewhere'. I don't think I'd want to rely purely on Outlook...
If it is any help, I purchased a domain name and email from Simply Names. I keep this separate from my ISP as I don't want to have to change my email every few years and I seem to change ISP every 3 to 5 years. They have offered a very reliable and consistent service, with unlimited email aliases, and they include adjustable levels of filtering on their POP3 mailboxes. I also make a small additional payment to get use of their SMTP servers when I am travelling.
SpamSettings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John Gray wrote:It seems that Emailias closed on 5th November
And now e-mails from Eileen's Lounge to your emailias can't be delivered anymore:
x396.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

That would be no great surprise, since I only changed my Lounge emailias address last night!

Not sure who would have written to me, but can you get the Lounge software to resend to the current email address, pls?

Thanks!
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Your profile contains a Gmail address, perhaps it was a notification still waiting in the queue.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Maybe it was a notification to the non-existent Emailias address indicating that I'd now changed my profile to a new Gmail address?!
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know - the admins only receive a message that an e-mail from the server could not be delivered, but no indication of what the message was - not even the subject.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

John Gray wrote:Unfortunately if you have cable you're stuck (ho-ho!) with the very limited number of aliases you are allowed.

We have been using 1and1.com as our domain host for many years. The built in host filter does get a lot of the major spam sources, but Outlook junk filer seems to catch the balance that we have added to our lists.

I think the latest, we can have up to 5,000 email addresses for no additional charge, is that enough?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

DaveA wrote:...I think the latest, we can have up to 5,000 email addresses for no additional charge, is that enough?
My ISP provides a "catchall" service that delivers everything addressed to the domain to a specific mailbox (except for the addresses that I specifically direct elsewhere). I guess this makes an unlimited number of email addresses.

This is very useful for creating throwaway addresses, but I can't reply using the same address without creating an outlook account for it.
StuartR