EZ Vinyl converter

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

EZ Vinyl converter

Post by Dave Davison »

Some time ago I purchased an ION turntable which came with software that enbles the transfering of LP's to the computer in mp3 format. Works a treat with LP's but I have hundreds of audio cassettes which I would also eventually like to transfer to CD's. The swapping around of cables is a fiddle so I wondered if anyone is familiar with the said equipment and can enlighten me as to whether it is possible to copy from a tape recorder to the computer -using the installed EZ Vinyl coverter software prog- without having to route the signal through the turntable. Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: EZ Vinyl converter

Post by HansV »

Do you have a recent version? If not, you may qualify for an update - see MixMeister DJ Mixing Software.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Some time ago I purchased an ION turntable which came with software that enbles the transfering of LP's to the computer in mp3 format. Works a treat with LP's but I have hundreds of audio cassettes which I would also eventually like to transfer to CD's. The swapping around of cables is a fiddle so I wondered if anyone is familiar with the said equipment and can enlighten me as to whether it is possible to copy from a tape recorder to the computer -using the installed EZ Vinyl coverter software prog- without having to route the signal through the turntable. Thanks Dave.
I'm not familiar with the EZ Vinal software itself but I do have some doubts about how you would route the output of a tape player through your turntable.
You might try to plug the tape output directly into your sound card input jacks but it may be at a much higher audio level than needed?
Take a look at this link to a step by step process of tape to computer input. Maybe it's worth a shot.

http://www.wikihow.com/Transfer-Cassett ... o-Computer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:... whether it is possible to copy from a tape recorder to the computer -using the installed EZ Vinyl coverter software prog- without having to route the signal through the turntable. Thanks Dave.
I don't know.
I do know that I bought an ION Tape Express a month ago and gave it a whirl.
My first essays resulted in low-volume poor-quality recordings, so I really need to set aside some time and do experimentation.
I have about 300m cassettes I'd like to transcribe to MP3.
HPIM3382 (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks each..... good news for you Chris..... I have in fact transfered dozens of audio cassettes to the computer in mp3 with a rather complex arrangement of the cables incorporating the ION turntable and the EZ software that came with it. Pardon the rather rough free hand sketch of the cable set-up; [Attached] I hope it helps make sense of my explanation. If one wishes to listen to the tape / LP as it is being transfered / converted, simply plug the earphones into the green socket on the base unit. Don't ask me why I used this cable arrangement but I find the signal is normal when played back both through the computer or after burning it to CD. My original question may not have been clear but all I was wanting to do was (because I am short of space near the computer and because the turntable cables are rather short,) I wondered if the cables could be so connected as to eliminated the turntable seeing the EZ software that converts the signal is installed on the computer so I can't see what the turntable does when converting cassettes. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Dave Davison wrote:... I can't see what the turntable does when converting cassettes. Regards Dave.
I think that the USB turntable is acting as an adaptor to allow the output from the tape deck to be sent via a USB connection to the PC.

As Bob says, it should be possible to connect the line-out from the tape deck to the line-in (probably the MIC socket) on your PC.

I have had a little bit of success with this, but stopped using this method because of unexplained "drop-outs" in the audio stream (maybe some sort of buffer overload), leaving little gaps in the recordings which had to be closed up in Audacity.

I have since got hold of a gadget like Chris has, but I've not actually listened to the results of using it yet (so many tapes, too little time!!!)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:... rather complex arrangement of the cables ...
Dave, you are right, as usual.
It seems to me that you were using the Ion turntable as a channel, sort of.
I imagine there is no amp/preamp in the turntable?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:I have had a little bit of success with this, but stopped using this method because
That was my fist experiment about three months ago - LineOut from a tape deck into the Microphone. I wasn't sure that I was doing anything any good at the time, but regardless, the sound was rather poor.
That's when I decided to spring for the little cdn$70 ION device.
... but I've not actually listened to the results of using it yet ...
Ahem!
You may want to sample a few transcriptions.
None of my first three sounded at all as I liked.
Also they weren't being split correctly into individual tracks.
That's why I put my project on hold until I can devote some regular time to it.

I was hoping to transcribe 2 or 3 tapes per day while I sat here doing some Real Work, but it needs to be unattended transcription with 99% accuracy, otherwise I'll be spending half my day in Audacity or similar.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:... transferring of LP's to the computer in mp3 format.
Today's Toronto Star has some good news.
Your old Gordon Lightfoot records won't need to be replaced prior to transcription.
"Their findings prompted Lightfoot to revise some his song's lyrics in future live performances. The recorded version was not changed.".

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

..like I said earlier, I know the cable set-up looks illogical but must say the sound reproduction quality is as good as the original cassettes so am quite pleased with the end product. The thought had crossed my mind about making a direct connection between the tape recorder "Phones" socket to that of the Michrophone socket on the computer but how to engage the EZ software to convert to mp3 remained a mystery so I have not ventured any further in that direction. I was also reticent because I was not sure if connecting the said sockets would cause damage to either of the appliances. It is not just a case of transfering the audio to computer but that it is converted to mp3 at the same time as being in that format means I can burn mumerous cassettes on to one CD. Regards Dave.