Hyperlinks in PDF

Sundog
5StarLounger

Hyperlinks in PDF

Post by Sundog »

I converted a Word 2007 document to a Secured PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro. The original doc had 58 bookmarks that were hyperlinked. The setup was that a hyperlinked phrase in the middle of a paragraph in the Executive Summary would send the reader to a paragraph with an expanded version of the material, further down in the running text of the doc. Then at the end of the expanded version paragraph, a hyperlink takes the reader back to the beginning of the Exec Summ paragraph from whence they came. Multiple Exec Summ paragraphs would have multiple hyperlinks. There would be multiple destination paragraphs on a page in the running text.

In Word, the jump down from the middle of an Exec Summ para took the reader's blinking cursor to the beginning of the appropriate running text para. The jump back took the reader's blinking cursor to the beginning of the Exec Summ para. So the reader could see what to look for in the running text, and would return to the beginning of the Exec Summ para.

After the PDF conversion, the hyperlinks jump back and forth, but only to the Page, with no indication of which paragraph on that page is intended for the reader's inspection. This behavior makes all the hyperlinks pretty much worthless.

Is there a way to jump to the beginning of a para, perhaps by displaying the page scrolled such that the para of interest is at the top of the page? Any suggestions welcome!
Sundog

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Hyperlinks in PDF

Post by stuck »

I too have found that bookmarks & links in Word 2007 don't PDF the they way they used to. Is there anything in this thread, that I started of, any use to you?

Ken

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Ken, thanks. I had looked at that thread, but don't see anything that would help my situation.
Sundog

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

I find lots of info on the web about linking to PDF Named Destinations via a web browser.
1) These all seem to link to a Page, not content within a page. I need to somehow alert my reader to content at a deeper level, a paragraph within a page.
2) I need my solution to work from Acrobat Reader, not a web browser.

Any suggestions of other places where I might post this question?
Sundog

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Can I be heretical here and say that OpenOffice seems to do what you want with no trouble.

Have a look at the attached pdf and associated odt (I had to zip them because the board doesn't like odt)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Jo(h)n, I've been vacationing, thus my late reply.
jonwallace wrote:Can I be heretical here and say that OpenOffice seems to do what you want with no trouble. Have a look at the attached pdf and associated odt.
Yes, that is exactly what I would like my pdf to do.

However, I have discovered that I can achieve my desired behavior from Word 2007 by doing the following:
  • After the bookmarks and hyperlinks are embedded in Word, choose OfficeButton > Save As > PDF or XPS.
  • On the Publish as PDF or XPS pane, click Options.
  • On the Options pane, under Include non-printing information, check the Create bookmarks using: checkbox, and select Word bookmarks beneath it.
  • Then hit OK and Publish.
The PDF now exhibits the desired behavior when opened with either Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Reader.
options.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sundog

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I'm glad you found your solution. OOo has a similar dialog.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube