trying out vDos

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

trying out vDos

Post by stuck »

Prompted by Jay's post:
    https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 43#p304143
I downloaded vDos with a view to trying it out with what was, probably, the best fractal generator for DOS, FRACTINT

Getting vDos working was simple enough.

Getting FRACTINT to open was also trivial.

Sadly though that's all it seems to do because the next step in FRACTINT is to select a video mode and all the options I've tried so far just makes FRACTINT unresponsive :sad:

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: trying out vDos

Post by stuck »

Or maybe I was a bit quick...

I found a BATch file in the FRACTINT folder that runs a demo and that produced a Madelbrot set:
BASIC001.GIF
so maybe I just need to poke around a bit more. Or even read the FRACTINT manual, which I printed out donkeys years ago on a Epson dot matrix printer.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ah the Mandelbrot fractal - hadn't seen that in a while...

(Fun times when I learned Assembler to write my own fractal generator...)
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 12:38
...(Fun times when I learned Assembler to write my own fractal generator...)
:flee: waaaay beyond me!

If I remember rightly I first got FRACTINT from a PC magazine cover disk (remember when they were a thing?) Even on a PC with no HDD / only two 1.44 MB floppy drives, an Intel 286 CPU with no co-processor (remember when they were a thing?) that I think ran at a clock speed of 10 MHz, and only 1 MB RAM, it produced the Mandelbrot set in less than a minute.

Fun times indeed :smile:

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 09:43
Prompted by Jay's post:
    https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 43#p304143
I downloaded vDos with a view to trying it out with what was, probably, the best fractal generator for DOS, FRACTINT

Getting vDos working was simple enough.

Getting FRACTINT to open was also trivial.

Sadly though that's all it seems to do because the next step in FRACTINT is to select a video mode and all the options I've tried so far just makes FRACTINT unresponsive :sad:

Ken
Thanks for directing me here. I learned a couple things.For one, I had never heard of fractals before. I also checked out vDOS. It presents the same problem for me that other programs that run on a Windows machine does. Is if I installed it, I still would not be able to access my 3 1/2" external drive on that computer to load my DOS files. That computer does not see that drive except if I could start from it and then go to DOS on the C: drive.
Regards,
hlewton