hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Photo Editing Program

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 15:32
hlewton wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 13:10
...about the only thing I use a photo editor for is mostly resizing...
Yes, IrfanView can resize images. However, in versions higher than 4.57 (current is 4.62) the 'Save for Web' option on the File menu no longer works because that feature used a third party plugin called RIOT that is no longer compatible with IrfanView. For this reason I still use IrfanView v 4.57 32 bit.

Ken
Thank you. I always try to save locally to my computer.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 18:02
...I always try to save locally to my computer.
You misunderstand, 'Save for Web' is just another way of resizing large image files, which are then more compatible with web upload, it has nothing to do with saving directly to the web.

The RAW images that come out of my DSLR camera are >30 MB and by the time I've finished editing them usually end up as TIFFs that are >100 MB. Even the JEPGs the come straight out of my camera are not much short of ~ 10 MB. What IrfanView's 'Save for Web' feature does (via the RIOT plugin) is reduce such big files to more a more manageable size with remarkably little loss in quality. This is how I'm able to share my photos here in The Lounge, where the uploaded limit is a mere 256 KB.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 19:20
hlewton wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 18:02
...I always try to save locally to my computer.
You misunderstand, 'Save for Web' is just another way of resizing large image files, which are then more compatible with web upload, it has nothing to do with saving directly to the web.

The RAW images that come out of my DSLR camera are >30 MB and by the time I've finished editing them usually end up as TIFFs that are >100 MB. Even the JEPGs the come straight out of my camera are not much short of ~ 10 MB. What IrfanView's 'Save for Web' feature does (via the RIOT plugin) is reduce such big files to more a more manageable size with remarkably little loss in quality. This is how I'm able to share my photos here in The Lounge, where the uploaded limit is a mere 256 KB.

Ken
Yep, I did misunderstand. I just checked a lot of my photo files and the largest one I found was about 8000KB. If I'm understanding you correctly this time, I shouldn't have to worry about InfranView working for me. Do you think that is correct?
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 20:38
...I shouldn't have to worry about InfranView working for me. Do you think that is correct?
It depends what you want to do with your photos. It will be a lot quicker / more effective if you just try it / experiment for yourself.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 22:15
hlewton wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 20:38
...I shouldn't have to worry about InfranView working for me. Do you think that is correct?
It depends what you want to do with your photos. It will be a lot quicker / more effective if you just try it / experiment for yourself.

Ken
Yep, I did that and for what I need it seems to work fine. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton