McAfee Piggybacks Adobe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

McAfee Piggybacks Adobe

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(Moderator please re-assign if ...)
My laptop is rebuilt
Through FireFox I access YouTube and am told that I need to install Adobe Flash Player.

Fair enough.

But if I'm not quick, McAfee comes along for the ride:
1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: McAfee Piggybacks Adobe

Post by John Gray »

Yes, it is an optional security scan from McAfee. This sort of thing (usually an additional toolbar) happens for ever so many products. We must be eternally vigilant...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: McAfee Piggybacks Adobe

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Yes, it is an optional security scan from McAfee. This sort of thing (usually an additional toolbar) happens for ever so many products. We must be eternally vigilant...
John, you know how I hate to disagree with you (grin) but here is how this evil weevil trapped me.

I am running NoScript, and the Adobe page pops into view with no sign of the optional McAfee near the top-right.
I noticed that scripts were blocked. Figured "Adobe is harmless, right?", and opted in NoScript to temporarily allow all of Adobe.

It was sooo easy for me then to slide across and click the large DOWNLOAD button without nticing the McAfee checkbox.

In my case, either I am blinder than I thought, easily distracted, impatient, or would have been better of without NoScript! :rofl:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle