Adobe Flash Player 10.1

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Adobe Flash Player 10.1

Post by Gloria E »

Security Garden notified me of an update to Adobe Flash Player. I went to the download center and tried to download and install the latest version. When the installation reached: This Program Will Install Adobe Flash Player 10.1, install was grayed out. :scratch:

Is anyone else having this difficulity and/or how do I fix it?

Gloria E
Last edited by StuartR on 27 Sep 2010, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected spelling error in post title
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Adobe Flash Player 10.1 NOT Plaer

Post by DaveA »

What version do you have installed?

Version 10.1.82.76 was released 8/24/2010.
Why are you using some third party software to track updates, when Adobe will let you know when there is a new release?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:What version do you have installed?

Version 10.1.82.76 was released 8/24/2010.
Why are you using some third party software to track updates, when Adobe will let you know when there is a new release?
Adobe did not notify me of an update, so when I noticed that there was one, I decided to install it. While I was waiting for a reply from the lounge, I tried again and managed to get version 10,1,85,3. I verified it by running the version test and it confirmed that I had the newest version.

Is there setting that can make Adobe notify me?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Leif
Administrator

Re: Adobe Flash Plaer 10.1

Post by Leif »

Gloria E wrote:When the installation reached: This Program Will Install Adobe Flash Player 10.1, install was grayed out. :scratch:
I have noticed in the recent update windows that there is a subtly-shaded tick box that requires selecting before the 'Install' button is activated. You wouldn't be the first person not to have noticed it.
Leif

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Gloria E wrote:Adobe did not notify me of an update, so when I noticed that there was one, I decided to install it. While I was waiting for a reply from the lounge, I tried again and managed to get version 10,1,85,3. I verified it by running the version test and it confirmed that I had the newest version.

See Flash Player: Settings manager.

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Leif wrote:
Gloria E wrote:When the installation reached: This Program Will Install Adobe Flash Player 10.1, install was grayed out. :scratch:
I have noticed in the recent update windows that there is a subtly-shaded tick box that requires selecting before the 'Install' button is activated. You wouldn't be the first person not to have noticed it.
The only checkbox I saw was one to install the Google Toolbar and I sure wasn't going to select that one. I've got more than enough of those. If there was another, I couldn't see it.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:
Gloria E wrote:Adobe did not notify me of an update, so when I noticed that there was one, I decided to install it. While I was waiting for a reply from the lounge, I tried again and managed to get version 10,1,85,3. I verified it by running the version test and it confirmed that I had the newest version.

See Flash Player: Settings manager.

Joe
Thanks Joe, from what I saw it looks like the box was ticked. I wonder why I didn't get a notice re: the latest update? Oh well! All's well that ends well.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Adobe Flash Player 10.1

Post by DaveA »

Just fired up the laptop and Adobe Flash was wanting to but update.
See attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Gloria E wrote:The only checkbox I saw was one to install the Google Toolbar and I sure wasn't going to select that one. I've got more than enough of those. If there was another, I couldn't see it.
Just to show what it was Leif was talking about, I've gone and uninstalled Flash Player and reinstalled it again. Though this installer is running in Swedish.
FP09-27.png
It isn't complicated, though some think that we need all kind of different layers to ensure that we really, really get the latest version, i.e. for example Adobe has Global Notifications, as mentioned by Joe; Chrome users get Flash Player automatically; some people use third party software to check the status of different software installed, and then we have all the articles, posts etc. in blogs, forums und so weiter, mentioning every little change, security advisories that comes from Adobe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:
Gloria E wrote:The only checkbox I saw was one to install the Google Toolbar and I sure wasn't going to select that one. I've got more than enough of those. If there was another, I couldn't see it.
Just to show what it was Leif was talking about, I've gone and uninstalled Flash Player and reinstalled it again. Though this installer is running in Swedish.
FP09-27.png
It isn't complicated, though some think that we need all kind of different layers to ensure that we really, really get the latest version, i.e. for example Adobe has Global Notifications, as mentioned by Joe; Chrome users get Flash Player automatically; some people use third party software to check the status of different software installed, and then we have all the articles, posts etc. in blogs, forums und so weiter, mentioning every little change, security advisories that comes from Adobe.
Believe it or not, I've never seen this notice. I must have something wrong with my player setup.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:
FP09-27.png
It looks like Install is grayed out on your example, was it?

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Gloria E wrote:It looks like Install is grayed out on your example, was it?
It is grayed out until you click the check box, that is also highlighted, agreeing to their terms.

Joe
Joe

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Gloria E wrote:Believe it or not, I've never seen this notice. I must have something wrong with my player setup.
If the setting, mentioned by Joe, is set to notify you, and for example checking for updates every 7th day, and there is an update available, you will see the update prompt shown in Dave's post.

Since it may take some time for it to show up after a new version is released, perhaps a few days, it is quite possible that one reads about a new update before one sees the update dialogue, or if one is one of them using third party tools, it’s possible one gets the notice there and do the update. And, of course, one can also ignore it and download the manual update as usual, or install it via the web, several alternatives.
Gloria E wrote:It looks like Install is grayed out on your example, was it?
It was indeed greyed out, to show what we all see, as in most installers nowadays, until we accept the license terms, as Joe said.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.