phpBB Extension

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

phpBB Extension

Post by Graeme »

I'm entering information into a phpBB Extension that displays a date and time on a forum. (See Here) The format has to be mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm AM/PM. If I miss off the time component the result defaults to midnight MST and displays as local time for all users, so all time zones East of there get an incorrect date!

Is there a way of entering the date only so that the time element is ignored?

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Re: phpBB Extension

Post by HansV »

See the Excel thread.
Best wishes,
Hans

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Thanks Hans, the Excel thread was just what I was looking for.

This dilemma is separate. The phpBB Extension lists astronomical events. For a meteor shower event, there is always a peak number of expected meteors at specific times but this might be during the day for some people. So the best time to view them is between 23:00 and 06:00 where ever you are in the world.

So I would like to be able to either not display/have to enter the time in the Extension or fix the time to what I enter irrespective of your time zone. I can put the peak times in the description text.

Regards

Graeme

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I cannot help you with this. Sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Ok, no worries. Thanks for looking. :smile:

Regards

Graeme

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Graeme, sorry I don't have an answer but it leads me to question how Eileen's Lounge knows my local time. I think I remember setting my time zone; so I think the phpBB code for the Lounge must check that setting. Do you know if the forum you are using has such a feature for its members? You might ask the admin there. Unless of course, you are the admin, then I suggest Hans or another admin here might be able to tell you how Eileen's works wrt time zones and dates. Of course, it might be difficult or impossible to have existing members provide their local time/date data if it is not already provided.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You have to specify your time zone in your user profile in Edit global settings. The forum software will then take care of Daylight Saving Time/Summertime where applicable.

If you don't specify your time zone, the Lounge uses UTC.
Best wishes,
Hans

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

My assumption was that the forum took the time zone from the Windows settings. Oh well! :)

My understanding is that the phpBB software runs a database and all the associated Extensions and Styles that sit on it. The database behind the forum I contribute tweaks to was set up by a bloke in Arizona so it understands MST and converts the date for each user based on their User Profile time zone.

My new Hans inspired spreadsheet sorts the dates and times for me now. I'll get you back if I find out how to omit the time!

Regards

Graeme