Java Going Berserk

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Java Going Berserk

Post by Bigaldoc »

This morning I was prompted in my XP tray that there was a Java update available. As always, I did it, but my MOUSE control has gone berserk ever since so I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

It has made it IMPOSSIBLE for me to use my mouse whenever Java kicks in, such as in trying to download an Open Office RC just now. The mouse jumps uncontrollably all over the screen until the "Java" process (whatever that is) gets done and then things return to normal.

I used Revo just now to remove JDK 6 Update 18 but even after doing so, the mouse cursor still wants to go crazy when I do something that involves Java. I don't know if I need to go deeper into this and uninstall other versions or if a reboot will fix it.

Any guidance out there in Lounge Land?
Last edited by HansV on 28 Jan 2010, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to correct typo

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Java Going Beserk

Post by viking33 »

Shoot the mouse?
Certainly try the reboot. Are you still using a wireless mouse?
At any rate, with my plain old optical mouse, no problems with the latest Java release on my XP partition.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hmm, why do (or did) you have the Java Development Kit (JDK)? I have the Java Runtime Edition (JRE), this is sufficient if you only run existing Java apps.

JRE 6 update 18 hasn't caused any problems for me.

I'd try a reboot first.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

HansV wrote:Hmm, why do (or did) you have the Java Development Kit (JDK)? I have the Java Runtime Edition (JRE), this is sufficient if you only run existing Java apps.

JRE 6 update 18 hasn't caused any problems for me.

I'd try a reboot first.
I've always thought I had the JRE installed but the window said JDK.

I better reboot now because the problem is still happening even if I try a YouTube link in one of our posts.

Back later...

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I found this on the Java site http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp You get a choice whether to d/l JDK or JRE so thanks for the heads-up on this one. I never saw it offered like this before.

I just uninstalled 17 and installed JRE 18 and it's all fine. All seems to be fine for me on my Win 7 laptop.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Java Going Berserk

Post by Bigaldoc »

I guess maybe I ought to try JRE 18 again because after a reboot last night, the mouse freezes went away. Maybe I just needed a reboot when it initially happened as I've never had any trouble with JRE before.

Now that it's all gone, I really don't know if I had JDK installed or JRE. But I am sure that a popup window said JDK and I didn't pay it much mind at the time.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote:I guess maybe I ought to try JRE 18 again because after a reboot last night, the mouse freezes went away.
So did ya re-install JRE 18? I'm curious~!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:I guess maybe I ought to try JRE 18 again because after a reboot last night, the mouse freezes went away.
So did ya re-install JRE 18? I'm curious~!
I did, I did, when I came home this afternoon and I'm happy as a pig in slop, thank you m'dear!

Never will know what happened yesterday, but as I write I'm listening to The Buffalo Bills sing Lida Rose on You Tube. Heard that one?

PS JRE 18 and I didn't have to reboot. Who know what evil lurks in these electronic hallways...

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote: but as I write I'm listening to The Buffalo Bills sing Lida Rose on You Tube. Heard that one?

Buffalo Bills-Lida Rose this one????

It sounds familiar, but it's not on my current repetoire :groovin: but I listened out of respect for you :yep:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote:
PS JRE 18 and I didn't have to reboot. Who know what evil lurks in these electronic hallways...
the only evil lurking (hehehe) is that I have not gotten one single e-mail from you since the grand opening here :hairout: :shrug:

PS I just listened to Lida Rose again but this time Lida Rose

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:
the only evil lurking (hehehe) is that I have not gotten one single e-mail from you since the grand opening here :hairout: :shrug:

PS I just listened to Lida Rose again but this time Lida Rose
Yuck! Sorry but that ain't barbershop harmony. I love the whole bunch including the youngsters, but the harmony isn't right. Keep in mind that it's not like I know anything about composition, but the sound, although great, is not barbershop'ish. The earlier one you cited, from The Music Man, is the one I WAS listening to. I have a few of the Bills MP3s I've acquired over the years.

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Bigaldoc wrote: I love the whole bunch including the youngsters, but the harmony isn't right. Keep in mind that it's not like I know anything about composition, but the sound, although great, is not barbershop'ish.
I have a good friend who has been a member of a Sweet Adeline chorus for about ten years, and I was surprised to discover from her that there are rules for what songs qualify for competition - there's definitely more to barbershop than singing acapella.
Samantha

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

How true. I won't tell ya what phrase I'm paraphrasing here but, as I said about not knowing composition:

I don't know what barbershop is, BUT I know it when I hear the harmony! (I do know that there's a lot of 7th chords.)

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hi Al

and presumabably lots of barbers?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote: Yuck! Sorry but that ain't barbershop harmony. I love the whole bunch including the youngsters, but the harmony isn't right.
I ended up listening to alot of other renditions of Lida Rose--not necessarily barbershop style. It's been a long time since I heard that song so naturally I wanted to see who had recorded it and found the Osmonds with Andy Williams. Of course barbershop harmony centers around the dominant 7th chord and it was not my intention to imply that the Osmonds were singing in that genre. When you have an "ear for music" it's easy to spot mis-placed harmony and certainly the first link I posted was what I hoped you were listening to :fanfare:

So how does one go about remedying singing out-of-tune?
With A Little Help From My Friends

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hey Jude

How come you always bring a thread around to music :grin:

If you want a classic Beatles song in tune this is hard to beat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLEMncv140s
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

steveh wrote:
If you want a classic Beatles song in tune this is hard to beat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLEMncv140s
I like Peter Sellers interpretations. He is a riot and a scream and very Monty Pythonesque. Thanks for that. Right now I'm listening to Kenny Chesney--but that's for another thread....down the road...are you washed in the blood or just in the water.........