MailStore

RonH
SilverLounger

MailStore

Post by RonH »

I am still in the novice stage of TBird usage Bob and I must agree that backup is not that straight forward. It was a very simple process on WLM ... Export and job done. So far using Tbird I have exported the Profile (which I believe covers all settings plus emails) but in respect of having an .eml copy of all my Folder emails I have simply selected a few at a time and used export as EML to a folder in My Documents. .eml can be read in WLM of course so I am keeping my options open :grin:
Must take a look at MozBackup.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Update: Thunderbird 45.0 released

Post by stuck »

Ages ago I had one off need to get a lot of emails (over a gigabyte) transferred from Thunderbird to Outlook. Google led me to this application:
http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-h ... iving.aspx
I've no idea what the current version is like but I when I used it back in 2011 it was worked a treat so if I was looking for email backup it would be my starting point.

Oh and for home, use the price is right :free:

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Ken,
Thanks for this link ... looks very useful. I keep all important emails from 3 different accounts within subject specific Local Folders. I have had a quick read about Mailstore and I am not sure if I can I archive these folders ... each folder could comprise of POP3, Gmail or Outlook emails. I have no real need to archive Inbox/Send folders within each email account because I do not retain emails within these folders. Have joined their forum and asked this question ... perhaps you have some experience here?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It was a long time ago I used Mailstore but as I recall...

I had more TB folders, arranged in an extensive hierarchy, than I could count. Mailstore read them all and allowed me to browse the hierarchy. I was then able to choose which ever folders I wanted and restore then to where ever I wanted to more or less any format I wanted.

Just try it. It's not going to cost you anything, apart from a bit of tinkering time.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Ken.
I tend to be a bit cautious, having found in the past that certain software's like to grab 'whatever' and prioritise themselves thus involving more effort to decommission.
But the Mailstore product does look to be a whole lot easier than current methods that I am using. Will have a further 'play' and decide.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Having reminded myself about Mailstore I've just installed it, well an old version (v5, current is v9) I found on my PC.

Perhaps the latest version is different but I found that choosing the location where it holds the archives is not intuitive. I had to let it create an archive where it wanted, copy that folder to where I wanted it and then use the second shortcut it installed, which appends /config to the .exe to 'Select Data Directory'.

Looking at the archives it creates in Explorer is far from informative, it's just loads of .dat files.

Not sure I'll bother keeping it as I keep all my mail and other assorted 'system stuff' (e.g. Firefox profile) on a separate partition and that all gets backed up by mirroring it to an external HDD at regular intervals.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Based on your comment Ken and a little local research, I will stick with what I do for now to copy TBird mails etc. Having just installed a new video editing programme I have enough to get my head around just now :hairout:
If I do follow through then I will start another thread under Mailstore.
Thanks for your guidance.
(Changed a POP3 password today ... that screwed my brain for some period until I found out the 'different ways of TBird' :groan:)
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:Based on your comment Ken...
If you mean the one about looking at the files it creates in Explorer? Don't be put off by that, I was just being curious. You don't need to touch them, the Mailstore interface does all that for you. When viewed through Mailstore you can search the archives in just about any way you'd want.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

stuck wrote:If you mean the one about looking at the files it creates in Explorer? ... Ken
No worries Ken, I will have a looksee in due course.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

My :2cents:, for what it's worth: Having followed, with interest, the discussion re Mailstore, I decided that it might just fit in with my requirements - I have a large accumulation of e-mails, in numerous folders, going back a number of years! Took the plunge and downloaded and installed it (v9) on my second HDD, which I use for backing up my main drive (plus having Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa/cinnamon on it!). I'm impressed! Easy access to all the 'archived' mail, and they are presented in their folders. In fact, it's almost like having a duplicate mail system to hand. Definitely a winner as far as I'm concerned. It archived over 10k worth of e-mails in a matter of minutes - and they all check out!
It was easy to create profiles for both WLM and Thunderbird (beginning to use TB on Windows 10 in anticipation of WLM's eventual demise!) :thumbup:
Regards,
Keith

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I too investigated Mailstore (is it in the spreadsheet, Rudi?). So far, I've been unable to get it to convert my Thunderbird Profile archive into a Mailstore archive. I'm certain that it is my problem; however, I found it's online manual a little lightweight. I would prefer to see manuals that explain all possible permutations and combinations instead of leaving it to the user to experiment and find the solution. Just my :2cents: ...
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:I too investigated Mailstore (is it in the spreadsheet, Rudi?).
It is not Bob, but is it worthwhile adding? Is it freeware and does it get the seal of approval from loungers who use it?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Ken and Keith (aekyall) speak well of it. My problems are caused by the fuzz in my cranium, I'm sure. It certainly appears to be a very useful and robust tool. Yes, I downloaded it for free.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

OK...thanks for confirming. I have not bee following this thread (reading every post in it) as I do not use TB.
I'll add it to the mix when I get a chance. :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:I too investigated Mailstore (is it in the spreadsheet, Rudi?).
The spreadsheet has been updated and can be found here...
Regards,
Rudi

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

BobH wrote:So far, I've been unable to get it to convert my Thunderbird Profile archive into a Mailstore archive.
I have read Bob that first you have to Compact all files ... maybe this is your problem? File/Compact All Folders and I think you need to do this for all accounts and all local folders. I think that the 'Compact All Folders' only compacts the account selected or the local folders :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:...So far, I've been unable to get it to convert my Thunderbird Profile archive into a Mailstore archive...
Not sure what you mean there, Mailstore stores mail not settings/preferences/etc.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I should have added 'compacting in Tbird' before using Mail store. My brain is enjoying the sun :evilgrin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Re: MailStore

Post by HansV »

Remark: the above sequence of posts has been split off from the thread Update: Thunderbird 45.0 released, since it is not about the latest release of Thunderbird any more, but about backing up e-mail and MailStore. Thanks to Ken (stuck) for the suggestion.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: MailStore

Post by RonH »

Just an update. installed Mailstore now, completed a very simple set up Archive Email/Email Client/Thunderbird/Profile default etc and Profile name was created. Double click on it and within seconds my files/emails were stored. I am only interested in Local Folders so did not set up archive for webmail accounts.
Brilliant ... though I need to master the search. Would prefer easy access direct to a local folder/subfolder in Mailstore but maybe this is part of the programme I have yet to learn.

Hope you have solved your own situation Bob
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.