Difficulty With Acronis True Image Home Edition 2010 Install

BobH
UraniumLounger

Difficulty With Acronis True Image Home Edition 2010 Install

Post by BobH »

Don't know if this is just more of the dark cloud hanging over my head lately, or if it is symptomatic of today's e-commerce world.

I downloaded and tried the Acronis True Image Home Edition 2010 PC Recovery software. I liked it; so I searched Amazon and found a competitive price and waited with bated breath for its arrival. Today was the day. I tore open the envelope, opened the software packaging, and proceeded to install it. But, first, I uninstalled the copy I had previously installed from the downloaded trial version. All went well with the uninstall.

After inserting the CD and selecting it from My Computer, the autoload process started and I responded to the installation screen choices down to the point of entering the serial number that came in the package.

ASIDE: Acronis uses a 64-character - YES 64 CHARACTERS - serial number. I don't know about you, but I can't enter that many digits without typos. Seems a bit excessive, to me, but I took the precaution of typing it into Notepad, and verifying and re-verifying it forwards and backwards, so that I could just copy and paste it as needed.

All went well with my installation until I had to enter the serial number. The first three times I was told that the number was invalid, I just assumed I had phat-phingered something and went back into verification mode. I had made no errors; so I went into chat mode with Acronis. I was asked to provide the serial number then was told that the number was invalid. I pointed out that I had purchased the software from Amazon and was told that if a third party actually sold and shipped the product that they were not an authorized seller and therefore they had given me an unauthorized product with an invalid serial number. Nothing I could say would budge the support rep. I gave up with Acronis and turned to Amazon.

Within an hour of posting my problem with the sale, I got a message through Amazon from the third party provider. He was amazed that I could not install the software and immediately gave me a full refund even though his policy - clearly stated - is to give no refunds on software products. He basically told me that he would not jeopardize his business for a $30 sale (which I could fully understand). I also could not imagine that he would spend the money to duplicate the packaging and distribute the product through Amazon. I remain convinced that the problem remains with Acronis.

Although I was disappointed in the overall transaction - especially as I really need a reliable product to complete the addition of a new larger HDD on an old laptop - I must say that both Amazon and their third party vendor gave me the best possible service. Both went out of their way to resolve the problem. I probably exchanged nearly a dozen emails with the vendor who handled the resolution perfectly.

I'm posting this in case anyone else is considering an Acronis purchase - to make them aware that there might be issues if they purchase products from what Acronis perceive as an unauthorized seller. FWIW, I was told via chat that if the product were sold by and shipped by Amazon that it would be from an authorized seller. As a part of their attention to the problem, Amazon - apart from the third party vendor - pointed me to the product at a similar price from their own inventory. They also told me to send them the order number showing regular shipping and they would ship it free. I did so. I ordered the same product from Amazon and will report the results after the new CD is delivered.

This is the first time I've had this much trouble with an inexpensive software product. Although I shopped for a price much lower than the msrp, the net result is that the bad taste in my mouth isn't the result of my relationship with the third party seller or with Amazon.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Difficulty With Acronis True Image Home Edition 2010 Install

Post by StuartR »

I do agree that Acronis serial numbers are almost impossible to type, but I have never had to type one. If you order products from the Acronis online store then they email you the serial number and you just have to cut and paste it.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:... typing it into Notepad,
Bob, thanks for the post on the Acronis Saga. I read with interest.
I too use Notepad. Many years ago I typed my series of 5-characater strings for Office 2000/2003 passwords into Notepad as a self-defense measure.
I'd include a note that once the password string(s) have been copy/pasted and used successfully, one is guaranteed 100% accuracy every time.
I'd lost track of the number of times I'd had to retype a "I" as a "1" etc, but those have just been fading memories for years now.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:... Acronis uses a 64-character - YES 64 CHARACTERS - serial number...
Very interesting! Many Loungers will remember that I switched from TI to Shadow Protect quite some time ago.

But, I still have on file in my "purchased software" file the serial numbers of TI versions 6 through 11 and they were all 25 digit serial numbers (five groups of 5 with the usual hyphens).

Good luck with getting the problem fixed.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

StuartR wrote:I do agree that Acronis serial numbers are almost impossible to type, but I have never had to type one. If you order products from the Acronis online store then they email you the serial number and you just have to cut and paste it.

Yes, but that requires one to pay a much higher price for the product. Acronis want $50 for their downloaded version whereas I bought it from Amazon for $33. That's either a 50% markup or a 33% discount depending upon one's starting point. And, more to the point, a shrink-wrapped product that must have come from their production facilities and bearing what looks all too much like a valid serial number, should never have been allowed to go into distribution channels.

Yes, I am convinced that this is a legitimately produced version of the software. And, "Yes!" I think Acronis erred greatly in their product management decision with their extreme - draconian, even - obsession with the licensing of their intellectual property. If it were a highly complex and costly to produce integrated app like MS Office, I could understand; but this is an inexpensive, utility requiring very little capital investment by comparison.

I fear I shall never be a happy customer even if the product performs superbly. There is no excuse for such bad product management decisions and even less excuse for the failure to recognize the error, and worse, the failure to rectify the situation. Even the appearance of greed is ugly.

Please note that the opinions expressed in this post are the author's and not the opinions of the hosts of this forum.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:...Yes, but that requires one to pay a much higher price for the product. Acronis want $50 for their downloaded version whereas I bought it from Amazon for $33...
Fair point, I bought my upgrade licence for much less than that.
StuartR