Windows Defender

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Defender

Post by Gloria E »

I'd like an opinion about Windows Defender. The program came with Windows 7 and I ran it for the first time today. It found nothing, then I ran XoftSpySE and it found 20.

I read the reviews about WD and the majority of opinions was that it wasn't very efficient. May I please have a users opinion.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Defender

Post by HansV »

Windows Defender is a limited-purpose security program. It's not intended as a full-fledged anti-virus/anti-malware program, merely as an addition to other, more capable software. If you're interested in a more solid but still free security program from Microsoft, check out Microsoft Security Essentials. I have found it to be perfectly adequate for my Windows 7 PC.

Keep in mind that you should run only one antivirus program with runtime protection at the same time. So you shouldn't run both Microsoft Security Essentials *and* Grisoft AVG, for example.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Windows Defender is a limited-purpose security program. It's not intended as a full-fledged anti-virus/anti-malware program, merely as an addition to other, more capable software. If you're interested in a more solid but still free security program from Microsoft, check out Microsoft Security Essentials. I have found it to be perfectly adequate for my Windows 7 PC.

Keep in mind that you should run only one antivirus program with runtime protection at the same time. So you shouldn't run both Microsoft Security Essentials *and* Grisoft AVG, for example.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I intend to reinstall the program I had before. Namely Webroot Spy Sweeper,I purchased the program have the CD.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Spy Sweeper is a fine product, but keep in mind that it is only an anti-spyware program, not an anti-virus program. Webroot also sells "Antivirus with Spy Sweeper" and "Internet Security Essentials" which do include anti-virus, and more.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Spy Sweeper is a fine product, but keep in mind that it is only an anti-spyware program, not an anti-virus program. Webroot also sells "Antivirus with Spy Sweeper" and "Internet Security Essentials" which do include anti-virus, and more.
How could I forget that I have to install a Antivirus program? I will find one immediately. Thanks for the reminder.