SlideShow Software

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

SlideShow Software

Post by E_OGRADY »

I am looking for some software that will enable me to create a SlideShow of my photo's
Preferably it should be able to create a Menu that will then allow the photographs to be put into groups off a second level menu.
Boy that sounds confusing, really what I am after is a creator that will produce a DVD, that will show a menu from which you can select a category.
Currently I am using Ashampoo's Burning Studio, but for some reason it seems very buggy in the Menu Creation.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: SlideShow Software

Post by Rudi »

You could give DVDStyler a run and see if it provides you the menu features you require.

Its list of features include:
-- create and burn DVD video with interactive menus
-- design your own DVD menu or select one from the list of ready to use menu templates
-- create photo slideshow
-- add multiple subtitle and audio tracks

Note: I have not used/tested this software. As always, be attentive when installing and reject any unwanted extras during the install process.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

I was running some more searches and came out to this webpage: "Best free DVD authoring programs (i.e. create movie DVD with menu...)"
(It might be worth it to test out the others too and find one that fits the bill based on your ultimate needs.)

It mentions 5 DVD authoring tools that have menu capability, and claims that DVDStyler has one of the better menu creating features.
The main attraction to DVDStyler is its ability to customize DVD menus. Out of all DVD authoring programs featured in this review, DVDStyler allows users to customize and modify DVD menus the most. From using different menu templates to modifying menu background (Note: adding your own image as a custom background cannot be done from within the program. You need to add the image you want to use to C:\Program Files\DVDStyler\backgrounds) to adding custom buttons, DVDStyler allows you full control over the DVD menu.
...however, as I suspected, there is some crapware in its installer...
The biggest downfall to DVDStyler is the crapware it comes bundled with. While installing DVDStyler, I noticed it comes with two crapware. During installation, you need to specifically select ‘Custom Installation’ and uncheck the box for SweetPacks toolbar and click ‘Next’. You are then asked to confirm that you don’t want to install SweetPacks; the kicker is you are asked if you want to install SweetPacks, so if you click ‘OK’ at this window SweetPacks will be installed — you need to click ‘Cancel. After that you need to uncheck another box to not install DefaultTab Search. So not only does it have crapware but it has multiple crapware with tricky methods to make you install the crapware. Ugh.
...note this feedback to... (You will need to test it for yourself).
The other issue with DVDStyler is not something I personally faced but a not un-common complaint about DVDStyler. A good number of users have complained that DVDs created by DVDStyle play fine on computers but are “blocky” when played on DVD players and are unable to be played on Blu-rays. It isn’t entirely clear what is causing this, if this is a program bug or a user error.
To conclude, DVDStyler has its pros and has its cons but overall can be used to author DVDs if you are unhappy with WinX DVD Author and AVStoDVD.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Consider Google's Picasa. I've never used it to make slide shows but I know it can do that.

Picasa can also create movies but whether means Picasa can also burn its slide shows to a DVD or if the burning step requires a separate DVD authoring tool, I don't know.

Ken

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

I believe your're needing to fuse two pieces of software together:
1. Program that takes a series of photos and creates a movie/slideshow, like Ken Burns' Civil War series.
2. DVD authoring software that takes separate video files and creates DVD format files with menus, titles, etc., and, optionally, burns the files to the DVD.

Photo Slideshow:

I've used Microsoft's Photo Story to create slideshows of wedding photos, etc. It's simple, easy to use, works with XP, Vista, 7 and maybe 8. Can fuse the slide show with sound/music files. The output is a movie file that can be played directly or burned to a DVD, with the appropriate DVD authoring software. However, it's not been updated for a long time.

For a recent project where I needed take many photos and videos and create a "this is your life" like celebration video, I bought the AVS suite of tools (see AVS4You.com). Nice ability to fuse photos, videos, sound, etc. As with any program, nothing's perfect (hint: save your work often!), but I was pleased with the final product.

DVD Creation:

I second DVDStyler! Great program that I've used to create many custom DVDs, including some that were creatively programmed to loop, jump, custom titles and chapter selection sub-titles, etc. If you do use it, be sure to donate to the author. He's put a lot of effort into it and is actively updating it. Although I haven't made many DVDs lately (most everything is in the cloud or sourced from a multi-terabyte drive), it's still the tool I use when I need to author a disk, like that video I mentioned.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

I have installed DVDStyler and created my first project, extremely happy. The only con is that it does not have a great transition, i.e. the Ken Burns effect, other than that it has become my tool for this type of project.

I agree with your comment re the install, Why? do these people put this crap into their install leaves me a little bewildered. Any type of ad that comes up makes me immediately reject the product, Who wins?

Thank you Rudi for your prompt reply.

Ted

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Any type of ad that comes up makes me immediately reject the product, Who wins?
They do, as there is enough different people that DO end up buying the added programs.
Just like the junk mail, snail and email, that 1% that does respond is enough.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

E_OGRADY wrote:I have installed DVDStyler and created my first project, extremely happy. The only con is that it does not have a great transition, i.e. the Ken Burns effect, other than that it has become my tool for this type of project.
That's where Photo Story comes in! Create your intro with a few pictures and transitions in Photo Story and use the resulting .AVI file as the menu intro or in a loop for continuous play of the animation.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:You could give DVDStyler a run and see if it provides you ... -- create and burn DVD video with interactive menus.
Hi Rudi.Good Tip.
I d/.l this about a month ago and have been playing with it off and on .

It works for me, cobbling together little snippets of MP4 files onto DVD that I can then play on my DVDPlayer.

"It works for me" is about the highest compliment i can pay something. I mean, if even ***I*** can get it working :grin:

Thanks for the tip
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle