Java will not update

Peppurr101
Lounger

Java will not update

Post by Peppurr101 »

Hello,
I have JRE 6, update 18 on 2 systems. My Windows Vista 32 bit system is running Firefox 3.5.9. My Win 7 netbook is running Firefox 3.6.3.

On both systems, Java will not update. When I try, Java tells me that I have the most recent update.
I am also not sure where update 19 went..
On both systems Firefox has disabled certain Java plug ins stating that they cause stability issues. Also on both systems, I am not able to access videos on some websites, one in particular (friday fun.com.. a funny video site)
THere are quite a few Java plug in's in Firefox, most are enabled. The ones that Firefox has disabled I have left disabled.

How can I get this update?
:)

TonyE
3StarLounger

Re: Java will not update

Post by TonyE »

Have you tried downloading the full installer and running it?
You can get it from http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - try the Windows offline installer (size 15.9MB)
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Go to Java Downloads for All Operating Systems and select the 'Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 Offline' link. You can open the .exe file or download it to your hard disk and run it from there.
x34.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Peppurr101 wrote:Hello,
I have JRE 6, update 18 on 2 systems. My Windows Vista 32 bit system is running Firefox 3.5.9. My Win 7 netbook is running Firefox 3.6.3.

On both systems, Java will not update. When I try, Java tells me that I have the most recent update.
I am also not sure where update 19 went..
I run with Firefox and had similar problems updating with a couple of add-ons showing they had or needed to be disabled. I was able to overcome one problem with the help of StuartR. However, a second problem could not be resolved.

What I ended up having to do was download the full offline version of 6.0.190 and 6.0.200. HansV gave you the link to get the offline download... which links to the current version 6.0.200. On that page you will also see a link for "Other Java Versions" That will take you to a page where you can download 6.0.190.

What I did was perform the full offline install of 6.0.190. Then ran the full offline install of 6.0.200 which resolved my issues.

For the record, you do not want to leave 6.0.190 installed. It has some problems... which were corrected by the release of 6.0.200.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

BobArch2 wrote:For the record, you do not want to leave 6.0.190 installed. It has some problems... which were corrected by the release of 6.0.200.
Installing Java 6 Update 20 should automatically remove Update 19. In the past, you had to uninstall older versions yourself because they would be left behind, but nowadays the installation procedure removes the previous version(s).
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:
BobArch2 wrote:For the record, you do not want to leave 6.0.190 installed. It has some problems... which were corrected by the release of 6.0.200.
Installing Java 6 Update 20 should automatically remove Update 19. In the past, you had to uninstall older versions yourself because they would be left behind, but nowadays the installation procedure removes the previous version(s).
Totally agree and that was my observation after running the full offline install of 6.0.190 followed by the full offline install of 6.0.200.

I added the comment about not running with 6.0.190 just in case the O.P. updated his 6.0.18 with 6.0.190 and stopped there. I probably should have clarified that in my comment.

When I originally applied Update 19 and then a couple of weeks later with Update 20, it was not with the full offline packages and my system had multiple versions of Java and created a couple of problems. From here on after, when an update is available, I will get the full offline version leaving the Java auto update process alone.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I agree - I too have found the offline install versions to be more dependable than the built-in update mechanism.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peppurr101
Lounger

Post by Peppurr101 »

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your help. Just to clarify- I should go to the Java site, download 6.0.190 (offline version) then download 6.0.20 (offline version)?
The .19 version is on the archive page and is "JDK/JRE 6 update 19 under Java Platform Standard Edition"?
I had read about the vulnerabilities in .19 so will update to .20 straightaway...
After that, will Java resume updating automatically?
This is good for Vista 32 bit and Windows 7 Starter? (Win 7 starter is on my new netbook)
Thank you again.
Last edited by Peppurr101 on 22 Apr 2010, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could wait and see if automatic updating resumes when you've installed Java 6 Update 20 (i.e. 6.0.20). Alternatively, you can keep on installing new versions manually - the release of a new version is usually reported here and in other boards a few days before the automatic update mechanism picks it up.
The links posted in this thread are for the 32-bit version of Java. There is a separate version for 64-bit which you only need if you have (a) a 64-bit version of Windows and (b) you actually use a 64-bit version of your browser. I use 64-bit Windows 7 but run the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer because it currently suits my usage better than the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer (as far as I know there is no 64-bit version of Flash player).
Best wishes,
Hans

Peppurr101
Lounger

Post by Peppurr101 »

Hi Hans
Thank you
Just one more queston. The Java .19 update is the one on the archive page under JRE/JDK 6 version 19 under Java Platform Standard Edition? JDK or JRE?
If so, will download and install tonight and let youknow how it goes.
Thanks

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Frankly, I don't think it's necessary to install Update 19 first; if you use the offline installer, you can move to Update 20 in one go.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peppurr101
Lounger

Post by Peppurr101 »

Even better Hans,
I will try tonight and let you know.
Thanks

Peppurr101
Lounger

Post by Peppurr101 »

Hello all
I have just installed Java 6 version 20 on both my machines. It seemed to install without a hitch and everything seems to be working.
I used the link on the page with the download to 'verify' the installation. On both machines, in my control panel, the correct version ( 6 version 20) is now listed. On my Win 7 machine the Java website reports that I have version 20 installed but on my Vista machine, the website still seems to think I have my original OEM version installed. Is this a problem or a case of ain't broke, don't fix?
Thank you for your help.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What does the Programs and Features control panel report on the Vista machine? If it lists both versions, you can uninstall the older one from there.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peppurr101
Lounger

Post by Peppurr101 »

Hi Hans,
This is what the Vista machine shows.
Capture.JPG
Now for the weird part. The Windows 7 machine locks up Firefox when I try to use Java on my photo upload site, but the on the Vista machine it works. Vista Firefox complains it needs an older version of Java and asks me to run it, once I click 'run' it's fine.
The Win 7 machine only lists Java 20 update 20, but locks up. It also doesn't show the picture of the Java link that you posted earlier while my Vista machine does.

I have tried disabling the Java add on in Win 7 Firefox (not the actual Java platform, but the 'Deployment Toolkit' but then Firefox just tells me I need to download Java. Firefox safe mode doesn't work either.
I suppose this is a Firefox/Java glitch and someone will sort it out with an update?

If not, I can use the Java on my desktop but not my netbook.. no real drama..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does it work in Internet Explorer on your Windows 7 machine?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Frankly, I don't think it's necessary to install Update 19 first; if you use the offline installer, you can move to Update 20 in one go.
Hi Hans,

The only reason I performed the offline install of Update 19 was because of an error message when trying to install Update 20.

The Update 20 install tried to access a folder where the Update 19 MSI file could be found so it could auto uninstall 19. The folder did not exist. Nor was it to be found in any other area of my system drive. Because of this, the Update 20 procedure would not work.

The only way around the problem was to perform the full offline install of 19 followed by the full offline install of 20. Following those steps... all was well.

And thus my previous message where I stated, no more auto updates... only full offline installs! :smile:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the explanation.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peppurr101
Lounger

Post by Peppurr101 »

HansV wrote:Does it work in Internet Explorer on your Windows 7 machine?
Hi Hans,
No, I've just checked now, it doesn't.
Maybe not Firefox only Java?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try completely uninstalling all versions of Java from the Windows 7 PC, then right-click the offline installer for Java 6 Update 20 (i.e. jre-6u20-windows-i586-s.exe) and select Run as Administrator from the popup menu.
Best wishes,
Hans