Transfering pics from camera

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Re: Transfering pics from camera

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for both comments BUT Hans; I rather think it is not the latter as I have tried both sockets on the front of the tower beside; I experience no problems with either of my memory sticks, they are instantly recognized by the computer when I insert them. Nevertheless, I will introduce a blast of air where you suggest and see if it makes any difference. Thanks Dave.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Dave Davison wrote:Hi Bob. I don't know about other digital cameras but if I attempt to plug mine into the computer to transfer photos whilst it is switched on it automatically switches off, must be a built in safety device & yes the battery is fully charged. As for the problem, it is just of recent origin as I have transferred hundreds of photos over the 7 years I have had this camera and the screen shot I showed in my original post used to instantly appear on screen whenever I plugged the camera in. Incidentally, I have just this minute plugged it into my ancient Packard Bell laptop and the said menu appeared instantly on screen so I'm persuaded the fault is with the desktop. Thanks anyway for the suggestion, anything is worth a try but it's not totally "curtains as I can utilize the laptops all be it a little irksome. As for downloading software / drivers from the net, I did a search and it seems Olympus have stopped providing such for my rather old model. If anyone can point me to a web source where it IS available I will give it a try. Still :scratch: :scratch: Regards Dave.

CORRECTION (senility sucks):
I have 2 digital cameras, one a Canon Pentax and the other an Olympus. I almost never use the Olympus any more because the Canon Pentax has many more features and captures more megapixels.

When I connect the CanonPentax - which has its own special cable unlike any other cable I have - I get no indication on the desktop PC that it is connected until I turn on the power switch on the camera. That triggers the Win7 photo upload gadget where I can choose what software to use for the upload. I see no indication that this is special software. I think it is part of Win 7. Likewise, WE does not show the camera as a resource until I turn the power on on the camera. Weak batteries also prevent the computer recognizes the camera as a device. That is why I asked about your situation. Alas, I do not recall how the Olympus works. I shall have to hunt around to see if I can find it and give it a try as well.
Last edited by BobH on 19 Jul 2014, 00:33, edited 2 times in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My Panasonic camera also must be switched on if I connect it to my PC using a micro-USB to USB cable.

Alternatively, I can take the SD card out of the camera and insert it into my PC's card reader, but I suspect that Dave Davison's PC doesn't have a card reader, so that's not an option.
Best wishes,
Hans

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Dave,

I didn't see you mention the exact model Olympus camera you have, but with Canon, if the correct software isn't loaded the program doesn't work. Also, Canon cameras I work with at home and work behave differently if Canon software is loaded than if I plug into a computer and use native Windows 7 drivers or XP home premium at home.

If the original Olympus software was loaded but has stopped working for some reason which appear to possibly match the symptoms you describe, then removing -- COMPLETELY -- the Olympus "Master" software and reinstalling the original software may restore automatic connectivity. If you post the model, and maybe a screen shot of the About screen from the Packard Bell that has the working menu, then perhaps the software package can be dug up (WayBack Machine?).

Could the original installation package still be on the Packard Bell? I save all my downloads to a special set of folders, so if you did the same when you installed the software on either machine, finding and running the installer again on the desktop computer may correct the problem.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

BenCasey
4StarLounger

Post by BenCasey »

Dave Davison wrote:For no apparent reason when I plug my Olympus digital camera into the computer to transfer photos the menu (see below) that used to appear on screen fails to appear so the only way I can achieve this goal is to use an ancient laptop for the transfer, copy them to a memory stick then to the computer. I have tried reinstalling the Olympus software but to no avail. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this problem would be appreciated. :scratch: Dave.
My PC does not have a card reader, so I use the card reader that came with my Printer. If yours has one as well, you could try that.
Regards, Ben

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts."
- Richard Feynman

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

I hesitate to throw my :2cents: in, but ...

If you have a chip reader, pull the chip from the camera and put in the chip reader. See if the computer recognizes the media device at that point.

Another time I heard of a similar problem, was when the camera's chip format was not recognized by the computer's operating system.

The only other thought is, the computer that is not recognizing the camera, make sure you are logged in as administrator. The computer maybe treating the camera as a non-USB device that you do not have privileges to. Or, the camera drivers need to be re-loaded. The first time I hooked up my Cannon, the computer installed device drivers automatically. If they were not installed correctly for your camera, or you did not have admin privileges, this could be the problem.
Scott

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Sorry for previous post - should have read ALL the posts on second page before initially responding.

I did not want to just delete the post and cause confusion. :stupidme:
Scott

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I suppose the only way the behaviour of my C-560 Olympus camera can be compared with others mentioned is if someone has such a [rather old) model The first photo I took on it was that of my oldest grand daughter who is mow nearly 7 so -in light of the speed technology moves these days- it is old but has worked just fine with the three desktops I have had in that period. More than one poster has been said their camera requires to be switched ON before plugging it in but I can assure you all, the model I have instantly switches itself off when plugged in which seems to suggest it's designed to so do. If I did not have the option of resorting to the old laptop I would obviously need to have the problem resolved but the infrequency of performing the transfer makes the cost unnecessary. Thanks for all the feed back. Cheers Dave.

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Dave,

Maybe I am getting senile, I did not see mention of what operating system your new computer has.

I had a Cannon Power Shot S20 (3.2Mega Pixels) using the older CF Cards. The camera had a totating rotating button on top that had to be set to computer before computer access was allowed.

The PowerShot S20 Software Guide operating system requirements were:
Windows 95, Windows 98
(including Second Edition)
or Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 3 or higher required)
Windows XP migration was not a problem for me.

When I went to Windows 7, I also had problems. Windows 7 initially loaded drivers when first plugged in but never recognized the CF card. I was not supposed to need seperate drivers for windows 7.

HOWEVER, the camera used a software program called ZoomBrowser. I had to install ZoomBrowser EX v4.6.0c Updater for Windows for Windows 7 (x64). Once I re-booted, the camera would be recognized and photo's downloaded. I was able to use the card reader with the CF Card slot to read the pictures.

HTH
Scott

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

In the past we have owned several Olympus cameras. I know that with the ones we had, we had to plug them in and THEN turn it on.
I had the software that came with the first camera and it was a waste of time. I then uninstalled it and just have used the OS of my machines to access the images of any camera that I have used since.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Filling in the gaps; My desktop does not have a card reader slot; neither does my printer & I am the named administrator for the desktop. Maybe hard to believe but my two laptops and the desktop all have the -now outdated- XP operating system but it does all I need so don't feel inclined to spend money I can ill afford. Maybe I will use the freephone number at Olympus HQ and see what they come up with. So far all they have said is to look in the Device Manager for errors but as I have already shown, there are none there. Still :bash: :aflame: :burnup: :bif: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The online manual for the Olympus Master 2 software says:
To prepare the camera for file transfer, do the following:
  1. Turn off the camera.
  2. Connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable bundled with the camera. If the camera does not immediately power on, turn the camera power on.
  3. A selection menu will be displayed on the LCD. For Olympus digital SLR cameras, select STORAGE. For non-SLR digital cameras, select PC.
  4. Press the [OK] button to continue.
Italics in 2. are mine. What happens if you turn the camera on after connecting it to the PC?
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

3. A selection menu will be displayed on the LCD.
Are you able to see this on the LCD of the camera?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Sorry for belated response, been waiting for a reply from the techie at Olympus cameras. His conclusion is the fault lies with the computer. When I plug the camera in to the computer, the screen on the back displays the menu PC; Easy Print; Custom print; Exit; so selecting the PC option and them OK should show the camera when I hit the "My Computer" tab but (unlike both -laptops) it does not SO guys, I wonder if there is some fault with the "MS Scanner and Camera Wizard" in the OS. Is there any way to check if it is at fault? Excuse my ineptness but is "MS Scanner and Camera Wizard" maybe a driver that can be repaired if corrupted???? Seems strange that both the rather aged laptops recognize the camera whilst the desktop does not. Regards Dave.

Hans........if I hit the on/off button on the camera after plugging it into a USB socket the lens does not protrude as it does when preparing to take a picture; As explained, when plugging in the screen does light up showing the menu as underlined above.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since the screen on the back of the camera lights up, the camera is turned on by connecting it to the PC. It is normal that the lens doesn't protrude in this situation, since you're not going to take pictures.
I don't think the problem is with the MS Camera and Scanner Wizard. When you select the PC option on your camera, it should appear as a USB drive in Windows Explorer, and you should be able to "see" it with your Olympus Master software. You have already confirmed that neither happens.
I'm afraid I can't explain that, since there are no indications that either the camera, the cable or the USB ports on your computer are malfunctioning. It's a mystery...
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I think I will have a chat with the owner of the shop where I purchased the desktop & see what he thinks of the issue, it certainly is a mystery seeing the same desktop has coped with many transfers of photos, maybe, just maybe it is time to move to W7 though I must say I am still reluctant seeing this is the only insurmountable hurdle it presents me with. Regards Dave.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

One thing you could try is to delete any hidden USB devices...

With your camera disconnected from the PC
Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
At the command prompt type the following command and press ENTER
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Then type the following command and press ENTER
start devmgmt.msc

this will start device manager. Go to the view menu and select Show hidden devices.
Now look through your USB devices in device manager and delete any that relate to your camera, or any you don't recognise.

Then try connecting the camera again.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Stuart...not having tread that region before I think it prudent to ask if the string should be entered at the point
denoted by the yellow arrow in the attachment? Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, that's the idea.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

If it is something you may wish to do more than once, copy the following into Notepad and save as** (e.g.) "HiddenDevices.bat"

Code: Select all

: set dev manager to show hidden devices
:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1"
PAUSE
devmgmt.msc
You can then run the batch file (by double-clicking it) which will firstly run the command to show hidden devices, and then after you press any key, open up Device Manager (and there you select 'Show Hidden Devices' under 'View').

** Note: when saving a file from Notepad with any extension other than .txt, you need to select Save as type: All Files (*.*)
x.jpg
*** Please also note the correct spelling is devmgr and not devmagr as you show in your attachment...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif