viewing videos in Picasa (yes, in 2024 and on Win 10)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

viewing videos in Picasa (yes, in 2024 and on Win 10)

Post by stuck »

In case anyone else is searching the web for a clue as to why Google Picasa won't find any videos, even though the relevant boxes are ticked in Tools | Options and the relevant folders are set to 'Scan Always', it's probably because Win 10 is lacking certain video codecs. This fix is simple, install the latest version of the K-Lite Codec Pack.

I'd forgotten this so I hadn't reinstalled the K-Lite Codec pack after I reinstalled Win 10 a few months ago (necessitated by a freak power surge) but it was only today that I realised Picasa was no longer showing the few (camera) videos I have.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: viewing videos in Picasa (yes, in 2024 and on Win 10)

Post by HansV »

Ah, the good old K-Lite Codec Pack!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I should have said, it was when I searched for a solution and found this page:
    https://sites.google.com/site/picasares ... -in-picasa
I remembered I'd seen that page before, way back when I first installed Picasa on my Win 10 PC (2017 maybe??).

Ken

chikara
NewLounger

Post by chikara »

I agree with Ken that installing the K-Lite Codec Pack is a simple and effective solution for getting Picasa to show videos on Windows 10. I had the same problem with my MP4 files and after installing the codec pack, Picasa recognized them and played them without any issues. I think this is a better option than installing QuickTime or other software that might have security or compatibility problems. Picasa is still a great photo management tool and I hope Google will update it someday to support more video formats natively.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid that it's very unlikely that Google will ever update Picasa again. It has been succeeded by Google Photos.
Best wishes,
Hans