Automating Shadowprotect Desktop 4.1.5?

Cah
3StarLounger

Automating Shadowprotect Desktop 4.1.5?

Post by Cah »

I'd like to be able to run an automatic backup of my system drive when switching off the computer. Does anyone know how to do this? Does anyone know if Shadowprotect Desktop Edition has command line and if so how to use it. I've been unable to download any kind of help files or guides from Storagecraft. I keep getting to a page that says it has no records.
Thanks,

Chris

Leif
Administrator

Re: Automating Shadowprotect Desktop 4.1.5?

Post by Leif »

According to Command-line tool to backup and restore? - StorageCraft Support Center: Backup Software Technical Support, "you can submit a technical support case" and they'll send you some scripts.
Leif

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Cah wrote:I'd like to be able to run an automatic backup of my system drive when switching off the computer. Does anyone know how to do this? Does anyone know if Shadowprotect Desktop Edition has command line and if so how to use it. I've been unable to download any kind of help files or guides from Storagecraft. I keep getting to a page that says it has no records.
Hi Chris,

When setting up a Backup Job, one of the set-up screens allows you to name the Backup Job. On that screen there is an Advanced option which when clicked has a Tab for Commands. Under Commands there is a section for entering a Post-Backup Command. In that area, you could enter your operating system's shutdown command with switches.

Here's a link where another SP user posed a like question.

Here's a link that shows the shutdown switches available.

Now I know you said you want to run a backup when switching off the computer. So, the above is just a variation of your request in that the shutdown will occur after running your backup. Might this serve your purpose?

Have I tested the concept? Nope. But might give it a whirl in the interest of testing! :grin:
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Cah wrote:I'd like to be able to run an automatic backup of my system drive when switching off the computer.
Part II

OK, just tested out the post command facility to shutdown after backing up and it works without any hitches.

Background:
- Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
- Using the CMD process, ran shutdown /? to verify all the switches available.
- Used Explorer to locate the shutdown.exe file... found in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
- Set up a Shadow Protect Backup task to backup my system drive (120GB SSD) to an internal WDC hard drive.
- Went to the Advanced Options | Command tab and used Browse to locate the shutdown.exe file.
- Added optional switches to reflect: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 30 in the Post Command box.
- Finished the set-up without executing immediately.
- Ensured that no applications were running, other that the standard tasks as shown in the notification area.
- Selected the test backup task to execute immediately.
- The backup took 4.5 minutes then displayed two messages 1) to indicate that the backup had completed and 2) a warning that the computer will shutdown in less than a minute.
- Timed the process after getting the 2nd message. 30 seconds lapsed before shutting down.

Then waited a few minutes before powering on the system. Everything started without any hitches. Checked my e-mail and there was a message from ShadowProtect that the backup was successful.

Brought SP back into play and checked the logs... everything was as expected... no issues.

Check Windows Event Viewer... everything normal.

Any downsides? Yup, my two monitors still had power after the shutdown. Now gotta figure out how to get SP to turn off the monitors!!! :flee:
Regards,
Bob

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobArch2 wrote:When setting up a Backup Job, one of the set-up screens allows you to name the Backup Job. On that screen there is an Advanced option which when clicked has a Tab for Commands. Under Commands there is a section for entering a Post-Backup Command. In that area, you could enter your operating system's shutdown command with switches.
Mister Bob, I don't know if Chris will try your "tutorial" but from this old guy, you're the "cat's pajamas," if you don't mind an expression from my youth! Absolutely amazing!

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Mister Bob, I don't know if Chris will try your "tutorial" but from this old guy...
Hmmmm, if memory serves me right, you run your SP backups at a scheduled time in the wee hours of the morning. You could modify your SP schedule to include the post command operations to shutdown your system upon completion and save a few $$$ of Kentucky electrical charges. Remember where you got the advice and be prepared to share! :flee:
Regards,
Bob

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks Bob and Leif, I sent a support request to Storagecraft several days ago but haven't had a reply. I would like to be able to do a backup without opening up the main Shadowprotect dialogue as I find it rather cumbersome. I have my shutdown routine that I created using AutoHotKey and I want to be able to run Shadowprotect from that.

Chris

Cah
3StarLounger

Solved: Automating Shadowprotect Desktop 4.1.5

Post by Cah »

I finally heard from Storagecraft and was able to use a script to create a system backup. I'll share the details if anyone is interested. Now I'm integrating it into my current shutdown routine. Does anyone know how the shadowprotect numbering system works? I successfully created a backup called auto-b001.spf using a vbs file. I deleted it using windows explorer and ran the test again. I was hoping to get the same file name but Shadowprotect gave me auto-b002.spf. Is there a way to reset this? What happens after it gets to auto-b999.spf? Thanks.

Chris

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Leif

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks for the link - it appears that the only way is to create a different backup job each time as the thread states:
ShadowProtect will always create a new backup with an incremented sequence number.
Chris

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Chris,

I would be interested in the script you received from Storagecraft. Could you share it please?

Regards, Teunis

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Hi Teunis, they gave me a whole package of scripts. I'm using one that runs an existing job. I've also tested one that creates a job on the spot. What kind are you looking for?

Regards,

Chris

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Chris,

I am looking for one that would automate a weekly full backup of my C: and D: drives to an external USB connected HD drive F:. I never use incremental backups, although that would be perfect for daily BUs.

Regards, Teunis

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Chris,

I should add: if possible, the script should delete first the one but last weekly C: and D: BU on the external HD to create enough space.

Regards, Teunis

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Teunis wrote:I am looking for one that would automate a weekly full backup of my C: and D: drives to an external USB connected HD drive F:. I never use incremental backups, although that would be perfect for daily BUs.
I almost hate to ask this question, but why do you need a script for automating a weekly backup, with or without incrementals? Shadow Protect will do that already.

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

A very valid question,

But I need the switch on and switch off bit.

Regards, Teunis

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Sorry, Teunis, for being slow to reply. I'm having some trouble with Outpost popups about ProxyBypass - I'll make another thread about that. When you say that you want to automate do you mean you want the process to run automatically when you run the script or do you mean you want the script to run automatically in the background? If the latter thenI suppose you could set a Windows task to that.
Teunis wrote: But I need the switch on and switch off bit.
What do you mean by this? Do you mean the computer? What I chose to do is create a job and have that job run automatically from a vbe script. The script can be run manually or launched from my autohotkey close down script. I'm using autohotkey to check the free space on my drive and delete the oldest job if there isn't enough room for the backup to fit. I'll check but I don't think there is a shadowprotect vbe script for that. I can post my autohotkey script as well if that's useful. Please let me know.

Best wishes,

Chris

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Chris,

My idea was to let the computer with external HD connected, startup itself automatically (wake up on lan?), delete the one but last full backup, run a new full backup and shut down itself automatically. If you have a script that can do that I'd be grateful.

Regards, Teunis

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Cah wrote:... they gave me a whole package of scripts...
May I suggest that you zip those scripts that StorageCraft sent you and upload them here for the possible benefit of some other Shadow Protect user? If a zipped file is too large (>256K), you could create more than one in a jiffy I'd hope.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I would hope that they are easily converted to BATch files!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...