MSMPENG.EXE

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

MSMPENG.EXE

Post by Bigaldoc »

This file is started by Windows services according to Autoruns. When I Google it, the responses seem to think it's part of Windows Defender which I don't knowingly use and can't even find it in my Start Menu.

Does anyone know if this program is associated with MSE which I DO use, please?

The reason I ask is that when I boot my computer this file, according to Task Manager, chews up anywhere from 50% to more than 90% CPU and it takes about 5 minutes for it to finish whatever "scanning" it's doing. If that's a normal activity for MSE upon startup I'll just live with it.

HansV
Administrator

Re: MSMPENG.EXE

Post by HansV »

MSMPENG.EXE is the main Microsoft Security Essentials executable (MSE is the "big brother" of Windows Defender, so it uses the same filename).
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Whew, I'm sure glad I asked! Thanks, Hans!

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I just did a quick test, Al. When I boot up, the MSE icon appears in the system tray colored red with an 'X' in it. This lasts for about 10-15 seconds while it does its thing, then turns green with a check mark to indicate it is good-to-go. I'd be a little concerned about that taking 5 minutes. Hope I haven't spoiled your day. :hairout:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

PaulB wrote:I'd be a little concerned about that taking 5 minutes. Hope I haven't spoiled your day. :hairout:
Thanks Paul. I'm not sure but I may have a couple of things going on with my hardware that could be influencing this symptom. I've got some more testing to do.

As reported elsewhere, I've had a failing wireless mouse and keyboard and I don't know if that has had more widespread impact than just the problems I've reported. I just replaced them an hour ago with a new purchase but when I restarted the system, I was more concerned with getting the wireless "connected" and didn't pay attention to MSE on that startup. But I will on my next reboot.

I also think I may be on the leading edge of a possibly failing boot drive. This Dell is 5½ years old and the original 80GB boot drive may be on the verge of crapping out. Besides the MSE question there are a few other symptoms that have me concerned about the possible failure of the drive. I plan to order a replacement, just to be on the safe side.

It's unfortunate that the interrelationships of one problem to another are often a mystery.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

PaulB wrote:I just did a quick test, Al. When I boot up, the MSE icon appears in the system tray colored red with an 'X' in it. This lasts for about 10-15 seconds while it does its thing, then turns green with a check mark to indicate it is good-to-go. I'd be a little concerned about that taking 5 minutes. Hope I haven't spoiled your day. :hairout:
I forgot to say in my last reply that my MSE icon in the tray comes up GREEN to start with and is never red.

I just did a reboot for a test and it still take quite some time for MSE to settle down and stop hogging my CPU. I still have to wonder if part of the problem may be a recalcitrant hard drive and I'll have to work on that.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

My version of MSE has been requesting that I perform a scan every other day recently, even though the scheduled scan is set for Sunday. Not sure if this has any direct relevance to this post :scratch:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't have ANY scheduled scans so I'm a bit perplexed at what MSE is doing at startup (reboot). Why does it have to scan anything just because I reboot the computer?

As I said I guess I'll have to live with it since I don't see anything in the MSE settings that would give me a clue what's going on.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re:

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:I don't have ANY scheduled scans ...
I have had problems with MSMPENG.EXE running at 95%-99% for months.
I suspect my system is broken.
I still can't get AQS in Explorer to work.
My usual solution now is to Shut Down and walk away for a minute, then reboot.
  • I get MSMPENG.EXE when there are no scheduled scans.
  • I get Windows updates installed AND a reboot when I have them turned off.
  • Explorer fails to find files when another window shows them in existence.
  • Reboot fails to recognize connected kb/mouse/video unless I physically unplug/replug devices.
This netbook has HP software wandering around in the background.

I think the time has come to go and by a real DVD with Win7 OS on it and do a completely fresh FDISK, or whatever today's equivalent is.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bigaldoc wrote:I forgot to say in my last reply that my MSE icon in the tray comes up GREEN to start with and is never red.
Well, you must be doing something right!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Re:

Post by PaulB »

ChrisGreaves wrote:snip... and by a real DVD with Win7 OS on it and do a completely fresh FDISK, or whatever today's equivalent is.
If by this you mean purchase :evilgrin: a real DVD, why not save yourself a few bucks by downloading your version of Win 7 slip streamed with SP1 for nothing. See Ted's post for details. You can then use your (legitimate) Win 7 license key for your HP laptop to do a clean install.
Regards,
Paul

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've seen reports of high CPU usage on XP systems but have never seen a "for sure" fix. Make sure you have the latest version of MSE. Try an uninstall and reinstall. Beyond that I can't recommend anything.

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

After many weeks of trial I uninstalled MSE from a laptop XP system at the weekend, rolled it back to Avira. MSE seemed to require more horsepower than the lowly spec'd laptop could supply, consequently everything was grinding. There has been a noticeable improvement in the performance of the laptop.

In contrast an XP desktop I have hasn't really batted an eyelid since I switched it from Avira to MSE.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If the notebook has a Celeron or AMD equivilant that may have been the problem. Those CPUs have had their IO capabilities diminished. I believe that MSE is more IO prone than some.

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

JoeP wrote:If the notebook has a Celeron...
Yes, the 'lowly laptop' I'm talking about has a Celeron processor. MSE was definitely too much for it but it is very happy with Avira.

Ken