iPhone Images Backup

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

iPhone Images Backup

Post by Graeme »

Our Electricians send in images from their phones as part of their inspection reports. The emails from the lads with iPhones don't have attachments but the images are embedded in the body of the email. As a result I can't just select all then drag and drop to back them up. Each one has to be saved as in the Explorer Pictures folder, given a unique name and then all moved over. Further, all date and time information is lost.

Is there a way of backing up iPhone images without this rigmarole?

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

Leif
Administrator

Re: iPhone Images Backup

Post by Leif »

Is it not in any way possible for an iPhone to send a picture as an attachment? That sounds ridiculous!

Could it be the method they use - e.g. starting from the 'gallery' and sending to an email recipient vs starting with an email and attaching the picture?
Leif

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Thanks Leif

As an Android kind of geezer, I don't know what the iPhone can do!

I'll ask one of the lads to try attaching an image to the email as you say.

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hello Graeme!

Have you investigated looking at the metadata for those iPhone photos? You should be able to recover date and location coordinates from them. I'll have a go at some of mine to figure it out and post back when (if) I do.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I found an easier way using FastStone Image Viewer (free software download).

Open FastStone Image Viewer in Preview mode and select the icon of the image you want information about.

Double click that image. When the image appears, right click the image and you will see the EXIF metadata that will give you the date and lat/long coordinates (if you need them).
Last edited by BobH on 06 Jul 2022, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 17:11
...how to get to the date the photo was taken and other data...
There's a more powerful, and less click-heavy way, to get at all the EXIF metadata in a photo in one go. It does first require the installation of an application though.

1) Download and install ExifTool GUI by following the instructions here:
    https://exiftool.org/gui/
2) Run ExifTool GUI and be amazed at how much metadata is in an image:
exif.jpg
Alternatively, open an image in IrfanView and click:
    Image | Information |EXIF info
The new window that opens then has a 'Copy to clipboard' button.

I don't know for sure but I'd expect other image viewers like Faststone Image Viewer and XnView to have similar functionality.

Ken
PS I see Bob's got there first, Faststone Image Viewer can do what IrfanView can do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

FWIW (and probably very little at that), I've not been able to make EXIFTool GUI to behave as it has been described to me. I'm sure that is a failing in me, but that is why I suggested FastStone Image viewer.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I may be wrong, but I think Graeme's priority is to have the images as attachments rather than embedded inline.
Once dragged and dropped (if they are attachments) then he saves a lot of faffing, and can probably readily see the basic info he needs from right-click > properties.

But I could be well wide of the mark!
Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

One of the options in the method I suggested is to email the pics. That means they will be attached, I think.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)