Digital Photos archiving... optical?

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Digital Photos archiving... optical?

Post by ErikJan »

Over the last couple of years I've scanned all of my personal slides and pictures. Slides were done @ 4000dpi TIF and 48 bit color depth creating 128Mb files each... (I'm a perfectionist, can't help it :smile:).

Next steps are to "fix" them (crop, rotate, scratch removal and contrast inprovements etc.). I'm now trying to find out which software I should use (thinking about buying Adobe Elements 11 or Lightroom 4 - the latter doesn't allow me to save my changes back to the original however, but IS 64 bits. Element is not 64 bit and I don't want to do anything 'creative'). Is there better / other software maybe (I'm an amateur, not a professional...)?

Then I intend to 'export' all fixed material to more 'normal sized' JPG versions.

Finally, I want to archive all my (changed or not) master TIF files (400+ Gb). Now it's on several portable HDs (of which I have backups in different locations). On the short term I trust this, mid to long term however I have more problems. Any severe magnetic impact any time will also erase all. I'm thinking of making another backup, but then optical (DVD / BD). I realize that's also short time and I might need to redo in 10 years or so. Using 100 DVDs is not too expensive nowadays (and I accept the hours it would take maybe) but then I'd need some software that takes all my folders and automatically creates 4.7Gb chunks and burns to DVD until all files are done... (only prompting me to insert the next DVD and creating a catalog on the fly so I can find stuff back on the -numbered of course- DVDs later). Does software like this exist? Is DVD a good option? Other ideas?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Digital Photos archiving... optical?

Post by stuck »

If you're a
perfectionist
then you should look at:
1) The full Photoshop suite for your post-processing work. As it is also the de facto standard for most professional photographers there is far more help and guidance available out there on PS than on any other package. Elements is not simply a cut down version of PS. It has it's own GUI so while tutorials for doing clever things in PS often can be applied to Elements you should expect to have to translate the instructions.

2) Adobe Bridge (http://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html) for image management. Bridge integrates with Photoshop. My limited understanding of Lightroom is that it is primarily a cataloguing application that comes with an excellent RAW converter and modest set of image editing tools. As such it is most useful as a means of managing image files from DSLR cameras. I don't think it would help you in maintaining / managing a catalogue of your DVD archive. Mind you I'm not sure Bridge would do that either.

As for the best archive medium. There isn't one! Backup , Backup & Backup is the only way. Here's one of many threads at a digital photography forum I've been known to visit that talks about the problems:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread14614.htm
Note one of the posts therein includes a link to a tutorial on the matter:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... backup.htm

Ken
PS I suggest you join the CiC forum and post your question over there and see what they say. My experience of that site is that it has a Eileen's Lounge feel to it, friendly knowledgeable and courteous :gent:

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Thanks, on archiving (and the rest maybe) I'll check out the links and might join the forum you recommend.

Wrt PhotoShop; I know what that is and that's WAY too complex. As said, all I need is cropping, removing scratches and working with white balances. I've played with Lightroom and it's perfect for the job [it can actually do a lot of things!] (but it does not allow me to save my edits back to the original...). An additional problem I did not mention is that I'm now using Picasa for 'managing' my collection and all pictures have face recognition enabled and assigned, I'm afraid I'll lose that anyway (but I did find a tool that writes the face-names in the metadata which can be picked back up by e.g. Lightroom (remaining problem is that in Picasa I know which face is which and in Lightroom I then only see which faces are there in the picture as a whole).

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Clever people at CiC will be able to help you with Lightroom questions. I've a feeling I've read stuff over there about getting LR to save edits within the file and not as a sidecar file but don't quote me on that!

Ken
PS Just how many slides did you scan? My collection of several thousand slides spans 40 years. So far I've only scanned about 500. I can't see me ever having enough spare time to have time to scan them all.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuck wrote:... My collection of several thousand slides ...
Wow! Billie and I were married 47 years and a few years ago I scanned our slide collection - 700 files and it WAS a BIG job and time consuming.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:
stuck wrote:... My collection of several thousand slides ...
Wow! Billie and I were married 47 years and a few years ago I scanned our slide collection - 700 files and it WAS a BIG job and time consuming.
Umm, my guess is I've got at least 6000...

Ken

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

stuck wrote:PS Just how many slides did you scan? My collection of several thousand slides spans 40 years. So far I've only scanned about 500. I can't see me ever having enough spare time to have time to scan them all.
Slides (incl negative film) only: 448Gb in 4220 files (averages 106Mb / file; I said 128Mb, right? Sorry :hairout: )
Then I scanned old pictures (that were not digital): 4.5Gb in 584 files
Digital material (pictures) 42.6 Gb in 10,000 files
(and I have some holiday movies...)

So I lied again: I don't have 400+ Gb but more like 500+ Gb to store :grin:

This excludes material from my kids (I mean what they made). And lastly: my material covers about 50+ years and some additional scanned pictures from my parents dating back as far as around 1930

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

You didn't get out much these last years then?

Next question, what hardware did you use to scan the slides? So far I've used a Nikon Coolscan V ED at it's default 24bit colour depth, 4000dpi, which gives me a 65Mb TIF (the 42bit colour depth option would give me ~120Mb files)

Ken

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

We are alike :-) Using the Coolscan V Ed @ 42bit & 4000 DPI...

Last years, all is digital so JPGs of maybe 6Mb each. My slides were scanned @ 100Mb+ each as (1) they are old and 'valuable' (to me for their content) and (2) as I want to 'get everything out of them that I can'.

Took me couple of years to scan all (every week a few hours)...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I bet it feels good to have reached the end of that marathon!

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Well, yes but as I indicated, I'm now investigating how to enter into the next phase(s): editing & archiving...

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Update... Elements is no longer an option... I installed a trial just now, first thing I did failed (spot healing)...
Elements 11 - Problem.PNG
Uninstalling Elements now...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

ErikJan wrote:Thanks, on archiving (and the rest maybe) I'll check out the links and might join the forum you recommend.
FYI, just registred there and posted my questions in the thread you provided, thanks again!

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Still no response here too: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread14614.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably will have to figure this one out myself somehow

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ErikJan wrote:Still no response here too: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread14614.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's odd, didn't expect that.

Ken

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

As if they have been watching this thread :-) but hours after your reply the answers started to come!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ErikJan wrote:As if they have been watching this thread :-) but hours after your reply the answers started to come!
:innocent: it might have been something I said

Ken

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Thank you :cheers: