address list lost

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

address list lost

Post by Dave Davison »

Just dropped some clangers; picked up a bug from some where which required the "C" drive to be wiped and as all the language was in Greek, nothing could be identified on the "C" drive so I've lost most of my free downloads like Revo-uninstaller & C Cleaner [which I will have to reinstall] but worst of all I have lost all my Favorites and contents of the address book. As it happens I had (in the past) made copies of both these lists to Word documents, is there any way I can import them to OE & IE? :scratch: Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: address list lost

Post by stuck »

There's more than one way to skin a cat they say so rather trying to restore everything to exactly how it was, why not use this clean slate as an opportunity to rebuild your Bookmarks/Favourites/Address Book with current stuff? I bet you've got loads of old Bookmarks/Favs/Addresses you never use!

Don't panic! This needn't be as daunting as it sounds. Consider the following procedures:

1) Bookmarks
a) Create a desktop shortcut to the Word doc that holds your Bookmarks/Favourites.
b) Next time you are using your browser and find you need a Bookmark/Fav then simply use the desktop shortcut to open your Word list.
c) Now copy and paste the link you want from Word to your Browser's address bar.
d) Once the page has loaded you can add it to your Bookmarks/Favourites in the usual way.

2) Addresses
a) Create a desktop shortcut to the Word file that hold your addresses.
b) Open your email client and the Word list.
c) In the first instance, one at a time, copy and paste the (small) number of crucial address you definitely can't live without into your OE address book, probably close family and friends.
d) Leave the other addresses in the Word doc until you find you need to use then, at which point copy and paste as required.

Although both of these procedures will mean it will take you a while to restore your Favs/Bookmarks/Address Book it will 'clean up' your lists, since entries you no longer use will never get copied back into your new Bookmarks/Favs/Address Book.

Also, don't forget, when mail arrives from someone not currently in your Address Book you can choose to 'add sender to address book' so your new Address Book will probably fill up again faster than you think.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Re: address list lost

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Ken. I appreciate the time you gave to spelling out all those instructions, will follow them to the letter and see what the end result is. Cheers Dave.