removing Windows Live Essentials

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

removing Windows Live Essentials

Post by stuck »

While I was travelling over the summer I was using Win Live Essentials on my netbook as a repository for all the emails I'd exchanged with all the motels during the planning of the trip. At one point early one in the journey it locked up/crashed and on restarting it told me it needed an update,which I OK'd. What seemed like forever later but was probably, only a couple of hours, it was working again.

Now I'm back home again I've noticed that the Control Panel/Revo Uninstaller lists loads of WLE foreign language stuff. I don't remember them being there before I allowed the previously mentioned update.

So where do I start to remove this lot? With the main WLE entry on the presumption doing that will also remove all the language packs? Or should I remove the language stuff one at a time?

Ken
PS the netbook is running Win 7 Starter Ed

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: removing Windows Live Essentials

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:While I was travelling over the summer I was using Win Live Essentials on my netbook as a repository for all the emails I'd exchanged with all the motels during the planning of the trip. At one point early one in the journey it locked up/crashed and on restarting it told me it needed an update,which I OK'd. What seemed like forever later but was probably, only a couple of hours, it was working again.

Now I'm back home again I've noticed that the Control Panel/Revo Uninstaller lists loads of WLE foreign language stuff. I don't remember them being there before I allowed the previously mentioned update.

So where do I start to remove this lot? With the main WLE entry on the presumption doing that will also remove all the language packs? Or should I remove the language stuff one at a time?

Ken
PS the netbook is running Win 7 Starter Ed
If you no longer want WLE, uninstall it with Revo.
Or just use Revo to uninstall the foreign language stuff.
Or did I not read that correctly?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

What I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the cleanest way to tidy up things.

I think I'll start by removing WLE and see if that takes out all the language stuff at the same time. If not I'll pick my way through the ruins and remove them as I find them.

But not today, maybe not for a while even. The netbook is not the fastest thing on the planet so the uninstall is likely to take a while.

Ken
PS for a Mod. this thread might be better located on the 'Windows (Live) Mail/Outlook Express' board as it was only the WLM component of WLE that I've used and which seems to be the app. that provoked the appearance of all the language stuff.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from the Windows 7 forum where it was posted to the Windows (Live) Mail/Outlook Express forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

I started to remove bundled WLE from a new netbook, but it was taking for ever, so I gave up and canceled the remove. Should I just leave it there? Apart from taking up quite a large amount of disk space, is it affecting performance? In general I hate to leave unwanted programs installed, apart from any other reason, because they need to be kept up-to-date. Any thoughts?

Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisJakarta wrote:I started to remove bundled WLE from a new netbook, but it was taking for ever, so I gave up and canceled the remove ... Any thoughts?
My plan is to set the uninstall of WLE going on my netbook just before I go to bed on evening, in the hope that it will be finished by the morning. Is that an option for you?

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I had some unexpected free time yesterday so I thought I'd use it to remove WLE from the netbook.

The actual uninstall didn't take too long but it did not remove all the language junk I mentioned above. These turned out to be 'windows live mesh activex control for remote connections'.

From my Googling it appears that I installed them when I first used WLE (or WLM) and the OEM installer script merrily installed every language under the sun instead of just the one I'm using. I learnt also that these controls had to be removed one at a time.

Revo seems to have done the job but it took me ages. Each control had at least 213 registry entries and not all in one location so there was a lot of careful clicking required each time, to make sure I selected only the (bold) entries marked by Revo.

It's done now.

Ken