Export Emails

RonH
SilverLounger

Export Emails

Post by RonH »

Windows 7, 64bit, Windows Live Mail.
On a monthly basis I save various records, including WLM. For the latter I also use the 'Export in WLM format' which is included in the mail programme.

However, its unreliable ... rarely (if ever) do all the email records get saved. The 'export' saves some and not others and this varies ever time I use this feature :scratch: I keep my emails in the Storage Folders/Ron with sub folders headed Family, Finance, Photography etc. Most of my emails are associated with my POP3 account (the top tree shown below), though I do also have Hotmail as part of WLM.

Any ideas what I can check please ... for example, have I incorrectly structured my email tree?
Ron
emails.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Export Emails

Post by HansV »

You *must* export to an empty folder. Do you create a new folder in Windows Explorer each time before you start the export?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Hans.
Yes, I do Export to a new empty folder ... I don't think you can export at all if its not empty.
Option for me maybe ... do you know of any good (free!) software for saving emails?
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wouldn't it be easier to simply copy your Windows Live Mail folder (C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail) to another location?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:do you know of any good (free!) software for saving emails?
I used MailStore Home to archive 100s of messages from Thunderbird. Worked fine for me.

And the price is right!

Ken

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

My method depends on how much mail you get and how many you want to keep. I don't use the 'Storage' folders as they will vanish from WLM if the pc has to be restored. Any mail I want to keep is opened then I click File, Save as... then put it in a folder on an external hdd. It can be renamed if you wish.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Interesting comment ... thanks all.
Hans ... I think your idea is brilliant so will explore this first. Looking at these Folders in Local/Microsoft, they appear to have some differences to the folders I see when I go direct to my WLM. For example, in 'Local' Storage Folders I have more than 1 set of Imported Folders but only 1 set has anything in it ... is it OK to delete the empty folders. I think that when I imported some emails from my prior Vista 'Mail' I must have messed up a bit during my reorg into WLM. Alternatively, can I delete the entire 'Local' Storage Folders (and all contents) and will it then recreate in the structure that I actually use? These differences are most likely the reason why I cannot 'Export' successfully.

Also, when I went into 'Local', I find numerous files (per below) with nothing in them. Any idea what they are/can I delete them?
Empty Folders.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could move those empty folders out of the Windows Live Mail folder and see what happens. If you don't experience problems for a day or two, you can delete them permanently.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:Looking at these Folders in Local/Microsoft, they appear to have some differences to the folders I see when I go direct to my WLM. For example, in 'Local' Storage Folders I have more than 1 set of Imported Folders but only 1 set has anything in it ... is it OK to delete the empty folders. I think that when I imported some emails from my prior Vista 'Mail' I must have messed up a bit during my reorg into WLM. Alternatively, can I delete the entire 'Local' Storage Folders (and all contents) and will it then recreate in the structure that I actually use? These differences are most likely the reason why I cannot 'Export' successfully.

Also, when I went into 'Local', I find numerous files (per below) with nothing in them. Any idea what they are/can I delete them?
Empty Folders.JPG
I'm sure Hans idea will work but it looks like you've got a bit of file management to sort out first.

I would urge you to try Mailstore Home as well. It's free and it did the job I wanted quickly and painlessly.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hans idea does work and its easy to keep a copy on eg an Ext HD.
But it still seems that I have to do some WLM file management to get the files shown in 'Local' to match what I see when I am into the actual programme. How can one safely do this? For example, I tried to rename a 'Local' Folder as 1. Family (instead of 1. Family (1) ) to match the named folder that I actually see in WLM and then all the emails under this heading could not be found. Fortunately I had saved an original copy so could revert! Can one make changes here to clean up past errors or should this be done in some other way?

It seems to me that if you create a folder in the WLM programme and then delete it, it does not get deleted within 'Local' ... you need to also delete it here?
Last edited by RonH on 22 Aug 2012, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:or should this be done in some other way?
:innocent: Umm, I think I've suggested trying Mailstore Home a couple of times now :evilgrin:

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Agreed Ken & thanks.
But just now I need to clean up my actual WLM Folders ... unless I should just leave well alone since it works as is!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I just hope it does what you want after all my nagging :laugh:

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Roderunner wrote: ... I don't use the 'Storage' folders as they will vanish from WLM if the pc has to be restored ...
Took your advice and moved all emails out of the Storage Folders. I created similar files directly within my primary Pop3 account managed within WLM.

Microsoft are now introducing 'Hotmail' Outlook. I have a Hotmail account, which is primarily used to allow me to contribute to some forums. I use MLM Calendar/Contacts a lot.
Are there any compelling reasons to change this to 'Outlook' :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

RonH wrote:
Roderunner wrote: ... I don't use the 'Storage' folders as they will vanish from WLM if the pc has to be restored ...
Took your advice and moved all emails out of the Storage Folders. I created similar files directly within my primary Pop3 account managed within WLM.

Microsoft are now introducing 'Hotmail' Outlook. I have a Hotmail account, which is primarily used to allow me to contribute to some forums. I use MLM Calendar/Contacts a lot.
Are there any compelling reasons to change this to 'Outlook' :scratch:
I have 2 accounts, 1 @ Hotmail.com & 1 @ live.co.uk To test, I opened another account, this time it was @hotmail.co.uk The bit that made me think was I gave totally ficticious details, BUT for some reason all my contacts appeared in it without any prompting. Next I changed it to Outlook but kept the @hotmail.co.uk address. I can't comment on how they work as my main mail is Gmail. Now all 3 accounts, when I access my contacts all look like this.
RR.jpg
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Part 2 of my reply to RonH. You will find this interesting especially the last part in red. http://www.4shared.com/zip/mW8Vm6oj/Nev ... furl=d1url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

RonH wrote:Are there any compelling reasons to change this to 'Outlook' :scratch:
No, I'd keep the Hotmail address, at least for the moment. Microsoft promises that your Microsoft Live account will be transferred seamlessly from the old Hotmail address to the new Outlook.com address, but there are many reports of problems - users unable to access their Windows Live SkyDrive, losing their 'points' and post history on the various Microsoft forums, etc.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Roderunner wrote:You will find this interesting especially the last part in red. http://www.4shared.com/zip/mW8Vm6oj/Nev ... furl=d1url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Huh? That's a link to download a zip file... :confused:
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for prompt responses.
I think that the message therefore is tread water and keep the holding pattern until forced to do otherwise.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.