Can I put a delay into an Outlook rule?

StuartR
Administrator

Can I put a delay into an Outlook rule?

Post by StuartR »

Most of my Outlook mail comes in via POP3, and I use rules to sort arriving mail into the folders where I need it.

I have one Exchange account, that I use for working with a specific client. When emails with attachments arrive in this account, it scans any attachments before making them available. So for a period of 10 to 30 seconds the email is visible but the attachment is replaced with something that says "Scan in progress".

My rules for copying email from the Exchange account into specific folders in the main PST file kick in when an email arrives, so that the copied email does not have the attachments, just the "Scan in progress" message.

Is there any way to have a rule that will pause for a few seconds after email arrives, so that I can copy the full email, including attachments?
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Can I put a delay into an Outlook rule?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 09:28
Is there any way to have a rule that will pause for a few seconds after email arrives, so that I can copy the full email, including attachments?
Hi Stuart, I have no idea about using or programming Outlook, Exchange, attachments, scans-in-progress, POP3, PST and all that sort of stuff, but that shouldn't stop me from making a suggestion, should it?
I have very limited experience in Outlook/VBA, enough to build a small project to "prove" my ability to harvest code from any sort of Office application (including back then "Project"), so I know that Outlook could, in general, do anything that Word, Excel could do as an object.

I assume from your post that if the attachment was present (and not "scan in progress") that your programming could deal with it.
That suggests to me a proof-of-concept in the form of a batch file or script that you run before rising from your desk to grab another coffee.

The script runs the mail-collection process twice, with a 60-second delay between runs - easy to implement in DOS batch files.
On the first run all emails are sprayed out to folders. Including any attachments that had passed the scan.
On the second run, the process collects any attachments that were missed on the first pass.
When you return with a fresh mug of coffee, all is waiting for you.

I can see a hurdle: If an email with attachment arrives between the first and second passes, you may not see that attachment.

A better solution would be to recognize the "scan in progress" and log those emails to a second pass.

I cannot remember whether Outlook2003 had access to Application.OnTime. But then see this

Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thank you. Some food for thought there
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 12:30
Thank you. Some food for thought there
Thanks Stuart, Now I think about it, you don't need a script.
Just run your existing procedure twice, manually, with a 60-second interval.
That should work, and if so, that tells you it is worth investing the time into programming the equivalent of Application.OnTime in Outlook.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I don't have an existing procedure, simply a set of Outlook rules
StuartR

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Stuart,

There's a "defer delivery" action, but you've probably tried that.

I don't know of a way to create a rule with a delay without a VBA script, but that might lock up Outlook during that time which might not be a good solution.

And there's the other issue that VBA is disabled by default for Outlook 2010 and newer.

As an alternative work flow, could you add an exception to the copy to folders rule for that client, then create a copy to folder rule for that specific client and run it link it to a button to manually process?
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 16:23
As an alternative work flow, could you add an exception to the copy to folders rule for that client, then create a copy to folder rule for that specific client and run it link it to a button to manually process?
I think this is probably the best approach
StuartR

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I found a solution that works acceptably.

I created a rule that applies to all email that arrives in this account and that has an attachment. This rule displays a popup box with a message and a button that lets me open the email. I just need to wait a few seconds and then manually open the email from this button so I can move it to where it belongs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR