Everything goes to Unread Mail folder

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Everything goes to Unread Mail folder

Post by Peter Kinross »

On my laptop, (which I am confined to at present due to a very simple problem with telstra, our ISP, that they have been incapable of fixing since 4 Feb) all emails go to the Unread Mail folder. When I use 'Send & Receive' I see the number of emails coming into my inbox increment, then the numbers decrement and the numbers on the UR mail folder increment. If I look at an email in the URM folder, when I leave it, it will then disappear (as it has been read). It doesn't go into my inbox, nor into Trash. No idea where it goes. I have had some very important emails whizz off into the ether and am anxious not to lose any more.
Similar thing happens with the Large Mail folder; largish emails go here rather than the URM folder.
There are NO rules in Outlook on this computer.
I am at a loss, HELP.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

HansV
Administrator

Re: Everything goes to Unread Mail folder

Post by HansV »

Is there a filter on your inbox?
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

As a temporary fix until you've sorted out why mail goes to the unread folder, can you improve matters if you select all the mail in the unread folder and move them to Inbox before reading any of them?
Silverback

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Filters. I thought that filters had to be applied by rules - there are no rules set.
Moving emails. I tried that and they won't move. I tried a whole bunch and also one at a time, nothing worked. I did just have success by double clicking the Eileen's Lounge email and then selecting move from the menu, it did move to my inbox.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

On the View tab of the ribbon, in the Current View group, click View Settings.
Do you see anything next to Filter...?
S3193.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The Unread Mail and Large Mail "folders" aren't real folders, but what Outlook calls "Search Folders" -- they display mail items from (possibly many) real folders that meet certain criteria. In this case, because there are no rules to move items to other folders, all mail goes into the Inbox folder (or maybe Junk Mail).

This is where Hans' question comes into play: If there is a filter on the Inbox, it may not show items that really are there, but they're showing up in the Unread Mail view into the Inbox because there's no filter on URM.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Filters; didn't know that existed, but sadly it is 'off' as per your pic.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Jay. Am I getting your correctly, is there a filter I could apply to keep emails in the Inbox or Junk?

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Peter Kinross wrote:Thanks Jay. Am I getting your correctly, is there a filter I could apply to keep emails in the Inbox or Junk?
No, I don't think it works that way. What I was saying before, when I guessed that there might be a filter, was that the messages really are in the Inbox but you just aren't seeing them. That would be the result of having a filter that "filters out" all the messages. Since there is no filter, that theory isn't workable.

Something you might play with, though, is the assortment of options in the View ribbon, especially the things in the dialog you get from clicking the View Settings button (the one in Hans' post). For example, try changing the Group By setting to "In Folder (ascending)".

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have been using Outlook since version 95 and do no recall of ever seeing this "URM folder"
I do not have such a folder at this time, but I use only POP type of account setups.

Can you post a screen shot showing this "URM folder"?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As Jay Freedman pointed out, Unread Mail is not a standard Outlook folder, but one of the search folders that one can create. Search folders are specific 'views' on your email messages.
S3198.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:As Jay Freedman pointed out, Unread Mail is not a standard Outlook folder, but one of the search folders that one can create. Search folders are specific 'views' on your email messages.
And once you've created the Unread Mail folder, it will appear as a subfolder of the Search Folders item at the bottom of your folder list; if you want quick access to it, right-click it and add it to your Favorites.
1.png

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Jay.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Here is the screenshot of the Outlook folders.
What do you think might happen if I delete the URM folder and the LM folder?
As an add on question: I would LOVE to get rid of the Personal folders altogether. If I send an email from within Access, it ends up in the Sent folder here, but not in the LE's Emails Sent folder. Frequently other emails sent with the cursor inside LE's Emails also end up in the Personal folders Sent folder. occasionally arriving emails also end up in that inbox. All very frustrating as I never know they are there.
All in all, I am not having much joy with Outlook on my laptop.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

All folders under Search Folders are "virtual" folders - you can delete them without affecting the messages that are displayed in them.

In File > Account Settings > Account Settings, you can specify the default email account, and in the Data Files tab, you can specify the default .pst or .ost file in which mail will be delivered.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

While you are looking in the account settings, you should check that email is being delivered to the Inbox folder, I have Outlook configured to deliver email from different accounts to different folders, so my computer behaves exactly as you describe. Email is delivered, it doesn't appear in Inbox, it can be seen in Unread Mail, (it also appears in the folder that I have configured in account settings)
StuartR