remove an account (outlook 2013)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

remove an account (outlook 2013)

Post by stuck »

stuckling2's university email address has expired so we need to remove it from his Outlook profile. Trouble is it is the primary account so it's telling us we have to remove all the other accounts first. We don't want to loose any data so how to we proceed?

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: remove an account (outlook 2013)

Post by John Gray »

With Outlook 2010, I have one account which has a blue tick in front of it, meaning "Default account", and a second one I hardly use.
Can you Set another/the correct account to be the default account?
I'm guessing that you can then delete the University account.
(No, I'm not going to try this on my PC!)
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:...Can you Set another/the correct account to be the default account?...
His (personal) outlook.com address is his default account but his university (.ac.uk) account was the first one added to the profile, making that account the 'primary account' and Outlook won't let you remove the primary account until all the other have been removed.

Removing his personal address (plus two other addresses he has) will be as easy as clicking the 'remove' option but what happens to all the data when we do that? Will it reappear when restore the addresses after we've removed the university address?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could try creating a new e-mail profile in the Mail control panel, add the accounts that stuckling2 wants to use, and set Outlook to always use that profile.
S1778.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Would that give him access to all the historic data in the other profile?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, yes.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

OK so that works around the problem but it doesn't really solve it. I'd prefer to be able to remove the .ac.uk account rather than just hide it like this but perhaps that's just me being a bit OCD.

I wish we'd known about this 'primary account' concept before he set up Outlook, he'd not have added his .ac.uk account as the first account.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can't you remove the account if Outlook has been started with the new profile? (Like John Gray, I'm not willing to experiment, sorry...)
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:...I'm not willing to experiment...)
I wouldn't expect you to!

So where does Outlook store mail? As far as I can see not in anything that looks like the sort of mailbox folders I've seen in Thunderbird.

Wait! Idea! MailStore Home to the rescue. That helped sort out a Thunderbird to Outlook mail transfer many years ago. I'll be able to archive all his mail using that, pull the plug on all the accounts in Outlook, recreate each account (minus the .ac.uk one) and then if anything is lost restore from MailStore.

I'll report back - eventually.

Thanks!

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Outlook stores everything in the main .pst file, plus other .pst files if you have specified them in Data Files (see the screenshot above).
Best wishes,
Hans