Microsoft Single Image 2010 Installer

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Microsoft Single Image 2010 Installer

Post by hlewton »

All of a sudden when I open Outlook 2010 on one of my computers it tries to install Microsoft Office Single Image 2010. From what I think I have learned it has something to do with trying you to install Office 2013 or something like that. In any case the WEB is full of instances where it has caused problems. I don’t want it to install it and never will as far as I know now. I have been able to tell it to not install but the next time I open Outlook 2010 it tries to install again. Is there any way I can permanently stop whatever this program is from trying to install?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Microsoft Single Image 2010 Installer

Post by Rudi »

I cannot verify this but apparently the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility can uninstall this app.
It seems MS removed it from their web pages, but its still available on MajorGeeks.

See this thread for details and the app (un)installer here.

Note: Please read through the thread and make your own assessment on its validity and advice. I have not tested the download from MajorGeeks.
In the thread there seems to also be a manual method of removal which some comment had worked for them too.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Rudi I will check it out and keep the information and hopefully tool for when this hits my other Office 2010 computer.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:I cannot verify this but apparently the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility can uninstall this app.
It seems MS removed it from their web pages, but its still available on MajorGeeks.

See this thread for details and the app (un)installer here.

Note: Please read through the thread and make your own assessment on its validity and advice. I have not tested the download from MajorGeeks.
In the thread there seems to also be a manual method of removal which some comment had worked for them too.
I read and downloaded the utility but I am not certain it is what I want. From what I understand after reading the first link it will uninstall the Single Image 2010 app or program after it has installed but I have not allowed it to install. I would like to find a way to make it stop trying to install. Any ideas on how that can be accomplished?
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I have not found any links in searches I've done that instructs how to prevent this utility from installing. If it is not presented as an option in the configuration (or setup) process when installing Office, I'm not sure that it's possible to avoid it??
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Rudi I could find nothing either but it is a pain because it tries to install every time Outlook is opened. The strange thing is it never did that before, I made no change to it, so I am thinking some Office update must be causing it but I can't find anything about that either.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I found a suggestion to look at the target of the shortcut that you use to start Outlook. It should point to Outlook.exe in your Office 2010 folder. If it points to an installation file instead, change the target.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Hans. Here is what I found "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /recycle

I don't know what the "/recycle" is doing there but it is. I can experiment with removing it and/or recreating another shortcut. Will get back if I find anything out.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The /recycle switch specifies that if Outlook is already running, the shortcut will activate the running instance, so I don't think it has anything to do with your problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

You're right the /recycle made no difference. I tried opening Outlook from the start menu also and every time it opened it started the Windows Installer which is what tries to install the Microsoft Single Image 2010. Nothing I do seems to be able to get around that.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Other advice that seems to get positive results is the following (assuming you have not tried this already);

Go to Control Panel
Open Programs and Features
Find and right click on Microsoft Office 2010
Choose Change from the context menu
In the program installer that appears, select Add or Remove Features and click Continue
Use the drop down arrow next to Microsoft Outlook and choose Run all from my Computer
Expand the Office Tools option
See if you can find Office Picture Manager and from the drop down menu choose Not Available.
Choose Continue
Close the Installer
Close all Office Apps
Restart Outlook (maybe even reboot).
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Other advice that seems to get positive results is the following (assuming you have not tried this already);

Go to Control Panel
Open Programs and Features
Find and right click on Microsoft Office 2010
Choose Change from the context menu
In the program installer that appears, select Add or Remove Features and click Continue
Use the drop down arrow next to Microsoft Outlook and choose Run all from my Computer
Expand the Office Tools option
See if you can find Office Picture Manager and from the drop down menu choose Not Available.
Choose Continue
Close the Installer
Close all Office Apps
Restart Outlook (maybe even reboot).
All I have to say right now is WOW. After following the steps and rebooting it sure appears to be working fine. Don't know how you found this cause I sure couldn't but it seems to be working now.

Not exactly sure what this did so must ask - does this mean that I won't be able to see pictures included in emails now? If so I'd rather have that than the annoying installation you got rid of for me cause I don't use that computer for my main source of emails.

Thanks so much.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

hlewton wrote:Not exactly sure what this did so must ask - does this mean that I won't be able to see pictures included in emails now?
Before I can answer, could you inform what change did you make in the below steps?
  1. Use the drop down arrow next to Microsoft Outlook and choose Run all from my Computer
  2. See if you can find Office Picture Manager and from the drop down menu choose Not Available.
Did you change only #1, or only #2 or did you make changes to both points?
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:
hlewton wrote:Not exactly sure what this did so must ask - does this mean that I won't be able to see pictures included in emails now?
Before I can answer, could you inform what change did you make in the below steps?
  1. Use the drop down arrow next to Microsoft Outlook and choose Run all from my Computer
  2. See if you can find Office Picture Manager and from the drop down menu choose Not Available.
Did you change only #1, or only #2 or did you make changes to both points?
For number 1 - I choose Run All From My Computer. However, I also made that choice back a couple years ago when I originally installed Office Professional 2010 on my computer.

For number 2 - I found and and made the change to Not Available

So I believe I made changes to both even though, as I said, I did tell the original installation to Run All From My Computer during its initial installation but I choose that option again.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I cannot determine if the change in point #2 is the culprit to you not seeing images displayed in Outlook. There are of course other security settings in Outlook that prevent images from displaying, but before we look into those, maybe its worth activating the Picture Manager in point #2 again, and seeing if that fixes the image issue. If the install issue returns after this change, at least we know that this is the culprit. If the install issue is not reactivated and your pictures show in Outlook, then the fix was point #1 and the picture manager has something to do with images in Outlook.

Activate #2 again and see how Outlook responds.
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:I cannot determine if the change in point #2 is the culprit to you not seeing images displayed in Outlook. There are of course other security settings in Outlook that prevent images from displaying, but before we look into those, maybe its worth activating the Picture Manager in point #2 again, and seeing if that fixes the image issue. If the install issue returns after this change, at least we know that this is the culprit. If the install issue is not reactivated and your pictures show in Outlook, then the fix was point #1 and the picture manager has something to do with images in Outlook.

Activate #2 again and see how Outlook responds.
I do not have any problem that I know of now. I was just curious if in the future should I receive any emails with photos in them if I would be able to see them?

Not sure how valid of a test this is but I just forwarded and email to my account that included embedded comics (pictures) and they showed up fine. So I am guessing I don't have any concerns. I just didn't understand what the changes I made actually did and was only trying to learn a little about them. I do believe everything is fine and again I thank you for all the help.
Regards,
hlewton

hagi
NewLounger

Post by hagi »

Installed Windows 2010 update today and had this same problem with Outlook. Other Office programs opened fine - without the Microsoft Single Image installer interfering. Tried many solutions to fix it. This is the one that worked! Thank you!!

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

hagi wrote:
20 May 2020, 22:10
Installed Windows 2010 update today and had this same problem with Outlook. Other Office programs opened fine - without the Microsoft Single Image installer interfering. Tried many solutions to fix it. This is the one that worked! Thank you!!
Glad this thread helped. There sure are some smart people here with a great wealth of knowledge. I turn to them a lot.
Regards,
hlewton

chinarog
NewLounger

Post by chinarog »

Hi,
I have just started to get the same problem and was so pleased to find your solution on the net. Unfortunately, unlike the above correspondents this solution doesn't work for me. I don't recall doing anything unusual for this 'Installer' to suddenly appear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Which version of Office is installed on your computer?
Best wishes,
Hans