Problems after installing Windows update KB 3097877

HansV
Administrator

Problems after installing Windows update KB 3097877

Post by HansV »

There are widespread reports that Windows update 3097877 (for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1, released on November 10, 2015) causes problems in Microsoft Outlook. Microsoft is aware of the problem, but hasn't fixed it yet.
If you experience frequent crashes in Outlook after installing this update, you can try uninstalling the update or restoring your PC to a date before the update was installed. Make sure that Windows won't update automatically.

As mentioned in Leif's reply below, Microsoft has released a new version of the update that doesn't crash Outlook. If you reinstall the update, the problems should be gone.
The Microsoft page now mentions
This security update was rereleased on November 11, 2015 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to resolve an issue where crashes occurred in all supported versions of Microsoft Outlook when users were reading certain emails.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Problems after installing Windows update KB 3097877

Post by Rudi »

TX.

I saw this report from a feed from How-To Outlook this morning.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, the workaround mentioned there is worth a try. If it works, there'd be no need to uninstall the update.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

UPDATE: Re: Problems after installing Windows KB 3097877

Post by Leif »

I can confirm this was a problem for me!

Note that the webpage Rudi linked to - Windows Update KB3097877 crashes Outlook - HowTo-Outlook - has been updated:

Update:
Microsoft has rereleased update KB3097877 and it no longer crashes Outlook. Check Windows Update and you should be offered it again.

Otherwise, click on the “Installed Updates” link in the bottom left corner of the Windows Update dialog, uninstall KB3097877, restart your computer and rerun “Check for updates” in Windows Update.
However, as my PC is set to download updates and then prompt me to install, I assume that the earlier rogue version of KB3097877 had already been downloaded, despite a revised version being available by the time of installation.

My solution was to uninstall, reboot, manually check for updates, reinstall, reboot, and now all seems good again.

Thanks both for your timely warnings - this could otherwise have turned into an early Friday 13th nightmare for me (despite PJ in (usually sunny) FL's assertions :laugh: )
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Leif. I have updated the first post in this thread.
Best wishes,
Hans