Opera 10.50 beta

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Opera 10.50 beta

Post by jonwallace »

Opera 10.50 beta 2 for Windows has been released

Nice and stable with only a few glitches. Currently my default browser.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Re: Opera 10.50 beta

Post by IanWilson »

jonwallace wrote:Opera 10.50 beta 2 for Windows has been released

Nice and stable with only a few glitches. Currently my default browser.
Do we know when the finished product is likely to appear?

Ian

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

IanWilson wrote: Do we know when the finished product is likely to appear?

Ian
They are really powering on with this one, there have been several builds a week since christmas. The nits being picked in the opera blog (see my earlier link then go to the "xxx Comments" (xxx is a number, not a lifestyle...) are getting to be of the "that icon should be 2 pixels to the left" variety, although there are occasional more serious niggles (mainly in bits I don't use or at websites I don't go to)

Finished product? Don't know. Rumour had it that they wanted to get it out before Microsoft starts rolling out the browser ballot screen, but I suppose they've missed that...

Give it a go Ian, it can be installed alongside your existing installation (can't post a link, I can't visit the Opera "Social Networking" (according to WebSense) forums from work). Watch it speed along...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

jonwallace wrote:
Give it a go Ian, it can be installed alongside your existing installation (can't post a link, I can't visit the Opera "Social Networking" (according to WebSense) forums from work). Watch it speed along...
Ok - this reply is being sent from 10.50 beta. Now I'll have to work out how you do things, but I have already managed to import my bookmarks.

Ian

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

IanWilson wrote:
jonwallace wrote:
Ok - this reply is being sent from 10.50 beta. Now I'll have to work out how you do things, but I have already managed to import my bookmarks.

Ian
I am enjoying version 10.50, but the only trouble I have is in making sure that 10.50 and not 10.10 is set as my default browser. Just when I think I have got it sorted out, I click a link (for instance in a notification email from the Lounge) and I get a message that Opera is not currently my default browser, and would I like it to be, to which I say yes, and the old version opens again!

Ian

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

IanWilson wrote: I am enjoying version 10.50, but the only trouble I have is in making sure that 10.50 and not 10.10 is set as my default browser. Just when I think I have got it sorted out, I click a link (for instance in a notification email from the Lounge) and I get a message that Opera is not currently my default browser, and would I like it to be, to which I say yes, and the old version opens again!

Ian
Is it because your email client thinks that "old" Opera is what it should be opening when you click a link, then "old" Opera opens, notices it is not default and asks if it should be?

OR is "old" Opera still the preferred application in wherever Windows (I'm at work and don't have anything more new-fangled than win2k) sets these things?

or something :scratch:
John

― Teddie O. Rahube

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

jonwallace wrote:
IanWilson wrote: I am enjoying version 10.50, but the only trouble I have is in making sure that 10.50 and not 10.10 is set as my default browser. Just when I think I have got it sorted out, I click a link (for instance in a notification email from the Lounge) and I get a message that Opera is not currently my default browser, and would I like it to be, to which I say yes, and the old version opens again!

Ian
Is it because your email client thinks that "old" Opera is what it should be opening when you click a link, then "old" Opera opens, notices it is not default and asks if it should be?

OR is "old" Opera still the preferred application in wherever Windows (I'm at work and don't have anything more new-fangled than win2k) sets these things?

or something :scratch:
Yes, something like that. I've been through all the file types and changed all the browsery sort of things to new Opera. In add or remove programs, where you can set program access and defaults, the only descriptions it gives of the browsers are "My current browser", Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Opera, but of course that doesn't say, or give you the option to say, which version. If I already have new Opera open, a link in an email opens a new tab in new Opera. But if I don't, it tries to open old Opera, however many times I try to set new Opera as my default browser. I suppose if I were confident enough of the new one, I could uninstall the old one.

Ian