Chrome Updating

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Chrome Updating

Post by Bigaldoc »

Here's two threads, in case you want more background, in which updating by Google Chrome was discussed:

Dealio Toolbar ???

Chrome Warning

I don't have any objection to Chrome and I want it installed on my system as an alternate browser. For one thing I'm now using it every time I have to access Google Maps since Chrome performs much better there than it does in Firefox.

But, like those two threads above said, it annoys me when a software product updates itself without my knowledge or at least telling me that it's doing so. I've tried the "about:config" solution that I found somewhere on the web and a registry mod pointed out by Hans in one of the above threads and neither has stopped the unannounced updating. Chrome updated itself YESTERDAY without my knowledge.

In hindsight, I was re-reading the posts in those two threads and there was one from JoeP that said Chrome utilizes SCHEDULED TASKS to update itself! Don't know why I didn't see that earlier, but sure enough there are TWO tasks on my computer that I've now disabled and will see how THIS attempt goes. Damn software publishers ought to be more up front about this kind of stuff!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Re: Chrome Updating

Post by Gloria E »

Al, I was browsing through the posts here and found this one. I was wondering how Chrome was updated, now I know. I have a question concerning Scheduled Tasks, there's no such animal in Chrome, so exactly where did you find Scheduled Tasks?

I read somewhere that it updated each time you clicked on About. If there was an update available this would trigger the automatic update. Do you know if this is facutual?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Task Scheduler is a Windows component.
Click the Start button in the lower left corner of your screen.
Type Task Scheduler then press Enter.
Click on Task Scheduler Library to see the tasks on your system.

(Warning: do not change or delete tasks unless you have a very good idea why that is necessary)
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:The Task Scheduler is a Windows component.
Click the Start button in the lower left corner of your screen.
Type Task Scheduler then press Enter.
Click on Task Scheduler Library to see the tasks on your system.

(Warning: do not change or delete tasks unless you have a very good idea why that is necessary)
I didn't find Task Scheduler by following your directions, but I did find it under Accessories > System Tools. After opening Library I am shocked by how many tasks are running without by knowledge or consent. I never choose to run Defrag let alone run it every week.

I also found a running task for a program called Windows Software Protection platform. The scheduled task was disabled, I know nothing about any program with that name, let alone disable it. After some Google research I found a couple of articles that stated that the sevice should not be disabled or stopped from running. Quantum of Geek.com has a very interesting article of the above named service. To start the sevice, would that qualify as a program that you warned should not be changed or deleted?

What I did not find was any mention of Google Chrome, so how is it updating itself? :scratch:

Please let me know if I should start the service for Software Protection and an answer to the question above.

I thought that I was in charge of what goes on inside my computer, but it seems I was mistaken. I saw things that are scheduled I never knew I had or was using. You would not believe the list of running programs that are on that list. :aflame:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Please leave the task list alone, Windows is quite capable of managing it.

Perhaps Chrome automatically checks for updates each time you start it?
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Please leave the task list alone, Windows is quite capable of managing it.

Perhaps Chrome automatically checks for updates each time you start it?
Suppose I don't want Windows to manage my computer? It doesn't seem to be capable of managing it's own products very well. Can you give me one good reason why defrag should be run once a week? Once a month or so seems to be more pratical. I know you know more about these things than I do but some of the things it's running , in my estimation, could be run manually and not so often.

I will take your advice and not touch anything, but I can disagree that is my privilege. Perhaps Windows would like to run that too. :evilgrin:

Is there anyway I can find information on how Chrome updates itself automatically? There's no way to contact Windows and ask them. My free contact with Windows expired a long time ago and I'm not about to pay $35 to ask a question.

I thank you for alll your help down thruough the years. I know I can always count of you to give me good advice. :thankyou:

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you don't like the frequency of the scheduled disk defragmentation, you can select this task, click Properties and change it - or even disable it entirely, if you prefer to run the defragmentation tool manually or use a third-party tool. As you will probably have guessed by now, I personally see no need to do so, but you're free to follow your own preferences, of course.

Chrome is not a Microsoft product, but a Google product. Google's page about Chrome updates is Updating Google Chrome:
To make sure that you're protected by the latest security updates, Google Chrome automatically updates whenever it detects that a new version of the browser is available. The update process happens in the background and doesn't require any action on your part.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:If you don't like the frequency of the scheduled disk defragmentation, you can select this task, click Properties and change it - or even disable it entirely, if you prefer to run the defragmentation tool manually or use a third-party tool. As you will probably have guessed by now, I personally see no need to do so, but you're free to follow your own preferences, of course.

Chrome is not a Microsoft product, but a Google product. Google's page about Chrome updates is Updating Google Chrome:
To make sure that you're protected by the latest security updates, Google Chrome automatically updates whenever it detects that a new version of the browser is available. The update process happens in the background and doesn't require any action on your part.
Can I change the scheduled date and or times for defrag directly from Libraries? May I ask why your approve of running defrag once a week, isn't that just a little too often?

Sorry about including Chrome as part of Windows, I knew that and why I said it, I'll never know. I thank you for the link, now I understand how Chrome's updated.

Now, just a little off topic: I've remove Firefox and would like to replace it with Opera. Do you like that browser? You're opinion counts with me. I like it but what do I know about the best browsers to use. If you like it, than I'll have IE 9 as default, Chrome as backup and Opera as just in case.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can change the schedule for disk defragmentation from Libraries in Task Scheduler, but it's easier as follows:
- Click the Start button.
- Type defrag in the search box.
- If necessary select Disk Defragmenter
- Press Enter.
- Click Configure Schedule...

I don't see a reason to deviate from the built-in frequency; I assume that the Windows developers knew what they did when they set it to weekly.

I don't have any experience with Opera, but there are Loungers who do.
Best wishes,
Hans