Opera crash on amazon.co.uk - Shockwave plugin to blame?

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Opera crash on amazon.co.uk - Shockwave plugin to blame?

Post by IanWilson »

This afternoon, when I go to amazon.co.uk, Opera crashes. There is just about time to see a dialog box flash by that says Plugin failed in its title bar. The same problem did not occur going to amazon.co.uk with Firefox.

I went to opera:plugin and tried disabling each plugin one by one and if the problem still occured I enabled them again. The one that eventually seems to have made a difference is Shockwave flash.
Shockwave.png
Never had this problem before. What can I do about putting the plugin to rights?

Ian

PS - I can't just leave it disabled, because I have just gone to another site that tells me I need it to view some content on their page. If I click the button to go to the Adobe site to install it, the version number on offer is the same (10.2.152.26) as was there already.

Edited again to add: I may have cured it. Uninstalling, and reinstalling, Flash didn't help. However, what does seem to have made a difference is that some time ago I had set Opera to mask as Firefox at Amazon (I can't remember now what problem that was to cure) but now I have set it back it identify as Opera, and all seems to be well. I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Re: Opera crash on amazon - Shockwave plugin to blame? NOT C

Post by IanWilson »

No, I hadn't cured it by doing that. I now remember why I changed to mask as Firefox - unless I did, certain features on the manage my Kindle page wouldn't load.

At the moment my temporary fix is to set the site preferences for Amazon.co.uk only to (1) mask as IE and (2) disable plugins.

So now I can manage my Kindle and not crash at that site, and see Flash features at other sites. Whether there will prove to be some features at Amazon that now won't work without enabling plugins again remains to be seen.

I'd still like to know what has suddenly changed and what can be done to effect a more permanent solution. Any help out there?

Ian

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Opera crash on amazon.co.uk - Shockwave plugin to blame?

Post by jonwallace »

Works here with Version 11.10 alpha Build 2005, set as Opera and with the same plug-in as in your screenshot enabled. But to view any videos (like the one on this page warning-bleeping over offensive words), I have to right-click and open in a new tab (odd that)

Not much help I know, but there you go.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube