Remove targeted adverts

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Remove targeted adverts

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. (I'm using the Chrome and Mozilla browsers).
When I visit sites, e.g. Yahoo etc., I see adverts which are targetted at me based on previous searches I've made.
Deleting cookies or the browsing history doesn't seem to reset these adverts.
Is there any way to achieve this? Would changing my IP address help and are there any issues I should be aware of
if changing this?
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Remove targetted adverts

Post by John Gray »

If by Mozilla you mean Firefox, then I find that the Adblock Plus extension/add-in with the EasyList list, in conjunction with the Tools -> Options -> Content tab, tick box in front of 'Block popup windows', gives me an almost totally advert-free environment.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Rus
StarLounger

Post by Rus »

In FF get these 3:
Adblock Plus https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... src=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... src=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 will give you control of all adds aon the pages that you frequent.

NoScript https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... src=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This will keep the scripts from running that follow your activity and report back where you go and what you do.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi. Thanks both, I'll try these out. I'll search for similar tools for Chrome.
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Remove targeted adverts

Post by PaulB »

Along with the good advice given above, you may also want to look into the elimination of Flash cookies. Web sites and advertisers are using these more and more to foil regular cookie blockers and removers. CCleaner is one tool that allows you to deal with Flash cookies.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Adblock is a great tool, as is CCleaner. (I recently looked at WinOptimizer but it recently crashed with a scary message
about an invalid pointer:( - I've uninstalled it now.)

There is now a version of Adblock for Google Chrome. Has anyone had experience with this? Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I removed Adblock for Google Chrome. I think it was slowing my internet.

I see targeted ads mainly on my Yahoo page, vaguely related to searches I performed a year ago. I don't suppose there is any way I can dissuade Yahoo from posting these? Because I'm using the free version of their e-mail, I suppose I'm stuck with these ads forever? Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Webmail services such as Hotmail, Yahoo!Mail and Gmail use targeted advertisements as a source of revenue. It's the price you pay for free e-mail...
Gmail has very unobtrusive advertising, most of the time I don't even notice it, while those in Hotmail are rather obtrusive (in my opinion).
Best wishes,
Hans