A proposal for a better SpellCheck

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

A proposal for a better SpellCheck

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am referring to the regular practice of right-click on a mis-spelled word and using the context menu item to choose from a list of suggestions or to "AddWord".

Why not assume that any string which is right-clicked could benefit from allternative spellings? I left that spelling error in there on purpose; when you reply to this post your reply text box will contain that mis-spelling, and if you right-click the context menu will look like this:-
Untitled.png
OK. So I should have typed alternative.
But maybe "alternate" would in this or some other case be a better word (depends on what I am trying to convey).

If so, then why not expand the inline spell-check to operate on words which happen to be spelled correctly. This would give the user a thesaurus-like function (and I have read (Bill Bryson?) that English is the only language that requires a thesaurus)

But why not?

If you have ever read back something that you (or anyone else) has written, wouldn't you make use of a pop-list of suggestions.

And yes, I am aware that word-processors support thesauruses, but why not browsers?
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle