What other search engines are popular?

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

What other search engines are popular?

Post by Skitterbug »

After reading BobH's post that is located in "Chrome Warning" thread in which he wrote that he is disatisfied with Google search, I found myself nodding my head in agreement. I don't care to search through Yahoo either and do use Google because of habit. What other search engines do Loungers use? More choices in a "browser's favorites folder" would be wonderful for in depth searching capabilities!
Thanks for suggestions that are offered! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: What other search engines are popular?

Post by Argus »

I can't say that agree with BobH regarding the Google search engine (in the thread about Google Earth and Google Chrome).

I usually use general search engines if the questions or topics are broad, with many possible sites covering them, or, as with most I guess, if I know nothing about them. :grin: But as we all know there are other databases at libraries, science databases, encyclopaedias etc. And most of the time their search engines are much better for a specific task. For example, it’s much easier to search the Lounge with its own search engine, you can combine keywords with author etc.; it’s very awkward to do that with a general search engine, it doesn’t matter how much they index, and how many different operators they have, it’s easier here. But it happens that I get so frustrated with the search engine at, let's say, a newspaper that I point Google at the site, with the site: operator and perhaps some other.

As with all search engines, general or not, the most important things are the key words and knowing how that specific search engine works. So, I often find it much easier to use Google searching Microsoft's different sites than their own search engines, because I’m used to it, because of habit as you say, but they have changed to Bing, so I guess it's getting better there as well.

The Lounge is a global place, and I guess that there are some search engines that are local or regional.

Here is one that I've mentioned before: Ixquick a meta-search engine.
About Ixquick.
Advanced syntax.

(Some 15 years ago I think I used AltaVista as much as I use Google or Bing today.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I still am using Google as my home page as it is a simple quick loading site. The new, search as I type, does not bother me as I am NOT a touch typists and must look at my keyboard as I type.

As a secondary search engine I use Bing.com, that is right Microsoft's search engine, and it will find sometime entries that Google does not. The one thing I do NOT like about Bing is all of the "Pretty" stuff. I do not need the different full page images that tend to slow down the loading of the home page.

I do a lot of Family Research and these two seem to do a great job. Many of the Family Research sites have "Local" search engines (which must be use) as these site have blocked the external search engines to their databases. The bots have been known to tie up the resources so the reach searcher could not get in to see the data.

For some real good searching hints have a look at http://googleyourfamilytree.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, this is promoting the book, which I have, but there are a few helpful hints .
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

As "empire building" as they might be, I've NEVER had any trouble with the Google search engine. The only other one that I've ever tried searching with is Yahoo and there's no comparison!

I don't use any add-on toolbars from Google or anywhere else, so when I search with Google I almost always find what I want, in an INSTANT!

Now, the issues with Chrome, I think, are an entirely different matter and as I've said, the only reason I even have Chrome on my PC is that I wanted to "try" it when it first came out. Sit here it does and somehow gets updated but it isn't causing any problems that I know of, so I ignore it.

Google may be "big" but that doesn't make them "bad," and many of you know where my last 30 year employment was and we suffered the same cat-calls. :grin:

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Like others here, I usually use Google for my searches (as an Opera user, I'm not bothered by all that "live result" stuff :grin: ). On occasion I use http://www.exalead.com, mainly because I use their free desktop search engine - it happily indexes my network drives (I have a LOT of those at work) AND OpenOffice files. The interface isn't as clean as Google's, but the results seem comparable. Exalead also has a nice set of tweaking options.

If I google and exalead me (doesn't everyone?) and limit it to pages from the uk , then I appear on page 4 of Google and page 6 of Exalead, both in listings of BSFA publications.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Thanks for the information! I think I am going to explore Ixquick and read Google search tips for a starting place! I thought about trying Exalead but I am not sure I want to add a search bar to my browser. I like the idea that I can add Ixquick to the search dropdown list. It doesn't take any valuable space from my viewing screen since it is installed in this manner!

:thankyou:

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Skitterbug wrote:... I thought about trying Exalead but I am not sure I want to add a search bar to my browser. ...
I don't think you need to add the search bar, I just mentioned that because my mouth (fingers?) has (have?) a way of running away from me... :hairout: Look it's(they are?) doing it now!!
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

jonwallace wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:... I thought about trying Exalead but I am not sure I want to add a search bar to my browser. ...
I don't think you need to add the search bar, I just mentioned that because my mouth (fingers?) has (have?) a way of running away from me... :hairout: Look it's(they are?) doing it now!!
FF has Exalead listed in the "search engine" choices so I added it along with several others! The next thing I should do is refine my searching techniques!
Thanks for the participation on my question about search engines! :yep: