Chrome Warning

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Chrome Warning

Post by jonwallace »

Maybe I was just naive, but I didn't expect a drive-by download and install of Chrome alongside a Google Earth update. What's with that? :hairout:

I didn't get asked ANY questions as the bloody thing installed itself. It just set itself as default browser.

And when it was uninstalled, it zapped my Opera cookies with login credentials for the forums I visit. (I admit it did ask me if I wanted to delete my browsing data, but I thought it meant Chrome's browsing data)

At least it didn't drag the Google toolbar with it. :thankyou:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Chrome Warning

Post by JoeP »

So much (again) for "Don't be Evil". :flee: :evilgrin:

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

After removing Chrome, do your internet links still work from a email?

There is that problem when unistlling earlier versions.
See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

jonwallace wrote:Maybe I was just naive, but I didn't expect a drive-by download and install of Chrome alongside a Google Earth update. What's with that? :hairout:

I didn't get asked ANY questions as the bloody thing installed itself. It just set itself as default browser.

And when it was uninstalled, it zapped my Opera cookies with login credentials for the forums I visit. (I admit it did ask me if I wanted to delete my browsing data, but I thought it meant Chrome's browsing data)

At least it didn't drag the Google toolbar with it. :thankyou:
Thank you for posting this information. I almost installed Chrome to see what it would be as a browser! No thanks to something that pretty much decides for itself what it wants to do. I'll stick with Firefox! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I think Chrome is "almost" a bad guy these days like malware! A long time ago I installed it, like many others, to see what it was all about. Not bad, but not my cup of tea - I too stick with Firefox. I'm not aware of Chrome doing any hijacking or damage but then again, I haven't attempted to uninstall it.

However, and this may be a "big" however, Chrome seems to keep re-installing itself without my knowledge and I can't figure out what the trigger is that does it. Here's a shot from Revo Uninstaller, sorted by installation date showing the past week in September and what has gotten "installed" on my system. I did not update or re-install Chrome! So it looks like the Flash Player update had a "ride along" with it.

Edited to add: I should say that I used the manual installer(s) pointed out in TonyE's link for the Flash Player and don't think I saw anything about Chrome but I could be wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bigaldoc wrote:Edited to add: I should say that I used the manual installer(s) pointed out in TonyE's link for the Flash Player and don't think I saw anything about Chrome but I could be wrong.
Al,
You saw right. There is no Chrome browser combination with the Adobe Flash Player installer. (The only thing mentioned is that it's the same plug-in for Fx and Chrome, but you already know that.) I usually use the manual installers/uninstallers, but we have to go looking for them in the support pages.

I've stopped using Google Earth, for some time now. Will see how it develops. It seems like they are not only including a Google Earth plug-in for Chrome, they're including the whole browser. :crazy:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Bigaldoc wrote:However, and this may be a "big" however, Chrome seems to keep re-installing itself without my knowledge and I can't figure out what the trigger is that does it. Here's a shot from Revo Uninstaller, sorted by installation date showing the past week in September and what has gotten "installed" on my system. I did not update or re-install Chrome!
Chrome has an auto-updater that I haven't had the time to figure out how to disable. The auto-updating is just installed and started when you install Chrome. No way in "Preferences" to disable it.

Upon further review, Chrome established two scheduled tasks on an XP system at work. One checks daily for core updates and the other checks hourly for UA updates. What exactly those terms mean for Chrome is something only Google can answer.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

My new lap top came with Chrome installed along within IE. It is Sony VAIO with Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.
I have NOT used Chrome and have just left it installed. The other day I had a Navigation Area pop up, about a update being available and to make Chrome the default, but I denied this action. I see today that I have same version as Al. But IE8 is my default browser.

I have not tried uninstalling because of the issues that occurs when that is done. I do have a 500 GIG drive, with only 45 GIGs used at this time, so I am not hurting for disk space.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Slightly off-topic, since the subject is Google Earth and Chrome, but since we came to discuss Chrome:

Just an update to what I wrote earlier, it seems like the other way around (Chrome vs. Flash Player) is true, but since I do not use Chrome I don't know first hand. Google Chrome includes Adobe Flash Player. And it will update the Flash Player plug-in without asking.

As mentioned Chrome is also using an automatic process to update itself; and sometimes it can include the latest Flash Player at the same time.

There are some blog posts out there about creating a reg value or two to disable or set the check interval. For example (though they contradict regarding the type value to use, but I'm not going to install Chrome to test this, and I've not checked them):

http://www.vhxn.com/how-to-prevent-auto ... le-chrome/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://chromestory.com/2010/09/how-to-t ... to-update/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

DaveA wrote:After removing Chrome, do your internet links still work from a email?

There is that problem when uninstalling earlier versions.
See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, the links didn't work!! is there no end to the perfidy of this software!!! Luckily Thunderbird popped up a box asking what the heck I wanted to do with a "HTTP" file, I pointed it at Opera and the link opened in Opera - after I had reminded the darned thing that Opera WAS the default browser (wait!! didn't I click that box when I uninstalled the dread Chrome (not the Dread Pirate Chrome - that's different :) )

In other news, Sysinternals' autoruns reveals that I have two identical scheduled tasks and a service running just in case I want to update any of my Google apps.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Now, try using "Hot" links within a Word or other Office file?
As they were affected on the earlier version.

jonwallace
5StarLounger

Post by jonwallace »

DaveA wrote:Now, try using "Hot" links within a Word or other Office file?
As they were affected on the earlier version.
Thanks Dave,

I use OpenOffice, but ctrl-click on a hyperlink in Writer works fine.
John

― Teddie O. Rahube

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I've become increasingly dissatisfied with Google search. It seems to require a great deal of effort to get past the "paid to play" results and the obtusely related results these days. Google didn't used to be that way. I guess their business model didn't include remaining the user's preferred search engine. Their CEO seems to be more involved in politics than in his company's products.

I check CP/Add-Remove Programs to see what recognizably google products showed up. I found the google toolbar for IE and removed it. Google earth and SketchUp are the 2 remaining products that appear now. Wonder how long it will be before they start pushing too hard on those channels?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016