Importing IE bookmarks into Chrome

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Importing IE bookmarks into Chrome

Post by BobArch2 »

I have decided that IE should be retired in my Win10 environment and elected to make Chrome the default.

The only issue I have come up with so far is the importing of IE's bookmarks into the Chrome environment. Not all bookmarks have crossed over. Any thoughts?
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Importing IE bookmarks into Chrome

Post by Rudi »

Have you tried to export the Favourites from IE as an HTML file, and then importing the HTML file into Chrome? (See Method 2 here)
(Just a thought?)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Rudi wrote:Have you tried to export the Favourites from IE as an HTML file, and then importing the HTML file into Chrome? (See Method 2 here)
(Just a thought?)
A few moments after posting my original request, I went into the Chrome bookmark manager and deleted all the bookmarks. Then exported the Favorites from IE, which created an HTM file. Then imported that file into Chrome. All is well. Originally, I had used Chrome's auto-import feature and there was obviously something wrong with that process.

Thanks for your research...
Regards,
Bob

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

obviously something wrong with that process
Yes, it is the Chrome that is the source of this problem and lot of others.
That is why I do not use it or allow it to be installed on any of my machines.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

DaveA wrote:
obviously something wrong with that process
Yes, it is the Chrome that is the source of this problem and lot of others.
That is why I do not use it or allow it to be installed on any of my machines.
I have decided to eliminate Chrome as my default browser. Albeit that the bookmark situation is now resolved I am having difficulty getting my password manager (1Password) to work in Chrome the way it works in IE11. Life is too short to deal with aggravations! I will contact AgileBits to see what they say about 1Password and Chrome.

I then tried using Edge as the browser of choice but the extension for 1Password is still in development due to issues, supposedly, with MS. And yes, I know that LastPass supports Edge in Windows 10 but I have a lot vested in 1Password.

Leaving me with the choice of going back to IE or, using Firefox as the default.

Stay tuned. :innocent:

P.S. my main reason for seeking browsers other than IE is the short life expectancy of IE, from what I have read.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think IE will go away any time soon. There are too many web applications that use IE-specific features.
(It's the same with VBA. It was supposed to have been replaced with .NET many years ago, but there are simply too many applications that rely on VBA...)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:I don't think IE will go away any time soon. There are too many web applications that use IE-specific features.
I guess at times I get too bogged down in reading/viewing articles like market share and tend to think that the sky is falling. :innocent:

I have always keep IE current and it has yet to cause me any concern. Meaning, time to get on with the finer points in life and leave well enough alone. :smile:
Regards,
Bob