How do I update Safari?

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

How do I update Safari?

Post by Peter Kinross »

Had probs using 'Find my iPhone', installed Safari and that fixed the problems.
New problem though, the latest version of Safari I can find, for use in Windows, is version 5 (about 4 years old). Using a 4 year old browser is exceedingly scary, yet I cannot find a later version.
The latest version of the 'Apple Software Update' app failed to work. Googling it found that this is a very common situation. The only fix I found was to overwrite that app's folder using an old image (Macrium Reflect). The old version of 'Apple Software Update' now works, but can't see an update for Safari, nor for itself - Seriously!
Never been a fan of Apple, as their software has always been the buggiest on my Win computers (because of this, long ago, I decided to never purchase another Apple product), but this takes the cake.
Anyone know of a way to update Safari?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: How do I update Safari?

Post by Rudi »

Hi Peter,

Two things to clear up (based on my experiences):

1. Find my iPhone has nothing to do with Safari, even though you claim it fixed a problem. Find my iPhone works in conjunction with your Apple ID and iCloud.
2. If installing Safari was for the purposes of fixing "Find my iPhone", then don't use it for browsing on your PC. (As a matter of fact, I'm sure you can delete the app and Find my iPhone will still work fine.)

BTW: There is no update for Safari (for Windows). Version 5.1.7 is the latest to date.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

I would LOVE to use Find My iPhone through iCloud rather than a browser.
But when I open iCloud on my PC there is no option to go to F M iP, see below.
16Apr21iCloudScreen.jpg
I call F M iP from a shortcut using;
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" " https://www.icloud.com/#find" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
This used to work in Explorer but after awhile messed up, ditto for FFox. Used to work in Chrome, but has started to mess up. Here is a screenshot of the result in FFox:
16Apr21F M iP - fireFox.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Peter,

It would have been great to find the device from the app, but as you have discovered, it isn't possible. You have to log into iCloud via a browser to use this feature. It makes sense as you can loose your phone anywhere and you might not have your PC available, but you can log in at an internet cafe, library, etc and still locate your lost phone at your location.

I have no idea why your browser is showing missing bands like that? It is not doing it on my PC (whether in Chrome or in IE). Maybe its a Windows 10 thing? That I don't know as I don't have Win 10 at the moment.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Peter, is your graphics driver up-to-date?
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Rudi, not a Win 10 thing, same thing happened with Win 7. Never had Win 8 so no idea with that.
Hans, just updated to latest Win 10 driver, no diff still messed up in FFox. But working well in Safari.
Just for fun, I downloaded Opera. Messed up right from the start. Clearly it's my PC.
Dang!