Clearing History & Spell Check In Google Chrome

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Clearing History & Spell Check In Google Chrome

Post by hlewton »

I uninstalled Flash player and then reinstalled it but I still get the same message. Funny why Al's works and mine does not. I guess I have little choice but to use Firefox or Google Chrome if I want You Tube videos to play on my machines.

I was just thinking it may be some setting in IE's options but I have no idea which one it could be.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Just went over to my XP SP 3 machines running IE 8, and the link above works just fine.

When you uninstall Flash Player, did you restart your machine before reinstalling Flash Player?

The current version is 11.7.700.169 see http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

You're not a bigot, Al. You're the wise and respected Lounge elder! :cheers:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:Just went over to my XP SP 3 machines running IE 8, and the link above works just fine.

When you uninstall Flash Player, did you restart your machine before reinstalling Flash Player?

The current version is 11.7.700.169 see http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave I answered this before but do not see my reply. I must have hit the wrong button when replying. Anyway what I said was that was the version I had and uninstalled it. I had not rebooted after uninstalling it. That is no longer the case. I just uninstalled it again, rebooted, and used your link to reinstall it, rebooted again. I get the same results. IMO it is not the Flash player that is the culprit, it is IE 8. I did do a WEB search and found that I do not seem to be the only one with this problem but so far I have not found a solution except to use a different browser as I am already doing.

I still am wondering if it could be some setting in IE's options but, again, have no idea which one it could be. Strange as it may seem I do try to keep all my machines setup identically so if it is a setting it would be the same for all my computers so that could be the reason they all give me the same message about my version of IE no longer being supported by You Tube.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Here is a link to an article I found about it, followed it but it still does not seem to work for me. It asks that I install Flash Player again. I may try that after posting this link. http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/04/01 ... supported/
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you visit What's my user agent?, what do you see?

As an example, this is what I get in IE9 on Windows 7:
Your User Agent String is:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

So I did as the link above says and clicked No Thanks. It then took me back to an advertisement playing on You Tube. When I tried accessing the video I posted a few steps above this post it said I have to install Flash Player even though I had a few minutes before done that from Dave's link. I went ahead and installed it again. When I once more tried to access the site I got the same message as I originally did. It just keeps sending me around in circles so I guess I am stuck with using a different browser.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:If you visit What's my user agent?, what do you see?

As an example, this is what I get in IE9 on Windows 7:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
Hans this is what I see now that I have Firefox. Did you want me to try it using IE?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks. Could you also try that using IE8, please?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Thanks. Could you also try that using IE8, please?
This is what I see after signing in here with IE

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6; chromeframe/26.0.1410.64; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; MS-RTC EA 2; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks again. That excludes one more possible reason for the problem - your browser does indeed present itself to the outside world as IE8, and not as an earlier version.
Your user agent leads me to think that you have the Google Chrome Frame plug-in installed. Does it make a difference if you disable or uninstall it?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Thanks again. That excludes one more possible reason for the problem - your browser does indeed present itself to the outside world as IE8, and not as an earlier version.
Your user agent leads me to think that you have the Google Chrome Frame plug-in installed. Does it make a difference if you disable or uninstall it?
Not sure but I can try it. It was installed as a suggestion from one of our members here because my gmail account was looking very bad. Not sure how to disable it but I'll try to find out.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Thanks again. That excludes one more possible reason for the problem - your browser does indeed present itself to the outside world as IE8, and not as an earlier version.
Hans it appears it cannot be disabled and was recommended that if that was needed to uninstall it, so I did. My IE 8 once again works at the You Tube site. Still I have had Google Chrome Frame installed for many months now and, as I mentioned earlier, You Tube just recently, within the last few days, started giving me that message. Using IE 8 I am once again getting the message that my browser is not supported when signing into my gmail account so I guess I have to make a choice but at least you figured out why this problem was happening. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I fear you'll have to choose indeed - if you prefer to view YouTube in IE8, you'll have to handle Gmail in Chrome or Firefox.
If you don't mind using Chrome or Firefox to view YouTube, you can reinstall ChromeFrame and handle Gmail in any of your browsers.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

hlewton,
Have you reset IE to the default settings?

Tools, Options, Advance Tab.
at the bottom, click the "Reset...." NOT the "Reset Advance Settings".

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:I fear you'll have to choose indeed - if you prefer to view YouTube in IE8, you'll have to handle Gmail in Chrome or Firefox.
If you don't mind using Chrome or Firefox to view YouTube, you can reinstall ChromeFrame and handle Gmail in any of your browsers.
You know what I find strange from what I read You Tube appears to be run by Google and they are the ones who don't support IE 8 with Google Chrome Frame installed. Seems a case of the right hand not knowing what the last hand is doing.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:hlewton,
Have you reset IE to the default settings?

Tools, Options, Advance Tab.
at the bottom, click the "Reset...." NOT the "Reset Advance Settings".
Sorry Dave I didn't see this earlier. I did not reset them but I believe we found the culprit - Google Chrome Frame. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes, I do NOT have Google Chrome Frame installed, so that may be why mine is working and yours is not.

If I remember right that on my wife's Windows 7 IE9 machine, she had to install this Frame thing for another web site that required it and FireFox and then it messed up things some others, within IE. But a "IE Reset" brought things back and the Frame program is still installed on her machine.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks for the information Dave. BTW, if I am not mistaken, that link I posted earlier also mentions that for some people using IE 9 You Tube gives the same error message I got. Seems Google would try to do a better job of making things work more smoothly.
Regards,
hlewton