Clearing History & Spell Check In Google Chrome

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Clearing History & Spell Check In Google Chrome

Post by hlewton »

I have used a setting in IE for quite some time now that clears the browsing history when I exit IE. It seems more and more sites are no longer letting me use IE because I cannot load a more current version than IE8 on my XP machines. I am now trying to get used to using Google Chrome as my default browser. I have found in Google Chrome how to manually delete the browsing history but have not found an automatic setting to do that for me like I am used to in IE. Is there a setting to do this that I am obviously missing?

Also I have used ieSpell checked for years and have become quite used to it showing my spelling mistakes and also showing the correct spelling of those mistakes. Google Chrome seems to show the mistakes by underlining them but even though I have the option to "Ask Google For Suggestions" checked it doesn't do that. Is there a third party program like ieSpell that I could use for Google Chrome or do you know of any reason Google does not seem to be offering suggestions for misspelled words?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Clearing History & Spell Check In Google Chrome

Post by DaveA »

What Service Pack do you have installed on XP?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

The latest as far as I know - SP3
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I've just been Googling, it seems that 'clear history on close' is not a native Chrome feature, you have to resort to a plugin to do it, this one gets lots of mentions:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... beod?hl=en

As an aside, if this is a serious issue for you then you could consider switching to Firefox, that allows you to clear your history on exit. Consider too that Firefox also has a decent spell checker built in. Not to mention the fact that Firefox also has an excellent adblocker in the form of an add-on called Adblock Plus.

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have you gone to
"Customize and Control (the icon in the upper right corner)
Select "Settings"
scroll down to the bottom and select
"Show advance settings"
Scroll to "Privacy"
Now checked things out in BOTH the Contents settings" and "Clear Browser data".

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Dave. That is how I figured out to do it manually but it does not clear the history automatically when exiting the browser as IE did, unless I am missing something.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I am NOT a Chrome user so I am not much help.
I would try the add in listed above.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:...unless I am missing something.
I too am not a Chrome user either but it doesn't take much Google searching to fall over lots of hits where Chrome users express disbelief that Chrome doesn't have an option to clear history on exit. Nearly off of those hits also refer to the fact that the 'Clear Browser data' tick Box Dave mentioned does NOT clear the history.

Dump Chrome, use Firefox I say :laugh:

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both for the replies.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I installed Firefox and will give it t try. I did see how to delete the history or more accurately not let it occur in the first place. Also how to use the spell checker. However I have to say, with a brief explanation, that it was the most difficult browser I have yet tried as far as getting an add in installed.

One of the main reason I even considered using a different browser is that You Tube would no longer play videos for me because they said they no longer supported the version of IE I had. With Firefox installed when I tried going to the site to play a You Tube video it said I had to install the Adobe Flash Player, which by the way, was already installed on my computer so I do not understand that either. Anyway after downloading it, running the download, I tried installing it as the add on it insisted I needed, and was told it could not be installed. At that point I was going to give up on Firefox but decided to give it one more try. After closing Firefox and reopening it, I went to the You Tube video site for the video I wanted to view and it played so obviously the add on must have been installed even though I was told it was not. I am willing to now give it a fair try since I am once again able to use You Tube. I must say though that before choosing Google Chrome earlier I did do a WEB search and found a few complaints about Firefox being slow and causing some update problems. I guess all browsers have their own problems but I must say I do like the look of Firefox since it looks and seems, so far, to act very similar to IE.

BTW Google Chrome works at the You Tube site too. Too bad Microsoft does not offer us an updated version of IE for XP because I intend to stick with it for some time to come.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Forefox uses a different version of Flash Player than Internet Explorer and Chrome.
Chrome has its own version built in (it is updated automatically with Chrome).
Firefox uses the plugin version.
Internet Explorer uses the ActiveX version.
Both the plugin and the ActiveX version will be updated automatically if you allow that. If you'd rather update them yourself, you'll find a download link for the most recent version of both in the first post of the thread Update: Flash Player 11.5.502.146 released or Update: Flash Player 11.7. The links are always up-to-date, they are not specifically for 11.5 or 11.7.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I should ask about IE 8 because I run XP SP3 and IE 8 and You Tube videos play for me without a problem. Have you kept your Flash Player up to date in IE?

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Forefox uses a different version of Flash Player than Internet Explorer and Chrome.
Chrome has its own version built in (it is updated automatically with Chrome).
Firefox uses the plugin version.
Internet Explorer uses the ActiveX version.
Both the plugin and the ActiveX version will be updated automatically if you allow that. If you'd rather update them yourself, you'll find a download link for the most recent version of both in the first post of the thread Update: Flash Player 11.5.502.146 released or Update: Flash Player 11.7. The links are always up-to-date, they are not specifically for 11.5 or 11.7.
Thank you Hans, that explains that.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Bigaldoc wrote:I should ask about IE 8 because I run XP SP3 and IE 8 and You Tube videos play for me without a problem. Have you kept your Flash Player up to date in IE?
Al I keep everything up to date and I mean everything. Even just had to uninstall an MS update because it was recommended to uninstall it since it had been causing some computers to have problems. This update was from last Tuesday's Microsoft's list of security updates.

Now about the You Tube, have you checked that today? I ask because until today You Tube worked for me as well. I would be curious to know if yours still works since we seem to have the identical versions of both XP SP3 and the latest version of IE 8 installed. If it does would you mind trying this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTVigW357H4 because that is the one that tells me that You Tube no longer works with my version of IE
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Just so you don't think I am crazy I will attach a screen shot of what I see at that site even though I do have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed as far as I know.

You Tube.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You don't happen to have turned on compatibility view for YouTube in Internet Explorer, do you?

You can check this by selecting Tools | Compatibility View Settings...
If youtube.com is listed, or perhaps ytimg.com, select it and click Remove.
YouTube does support IE8, but not older versions, so if you open it pretending you're using IE7, it won't work.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans I don't have anything using the Compatibility View. It all worked well until about 2 days ago and then it changed. I first noticed it on my laptop so I then tried two other computers just to be sure it wasn't specific to the laptop. Sure enough I got the same message on all of them as you can see from my attachment. You may have to expand the attachment to see it but it does say "Your browser is not supported by YouTube and it needs to be updated." I have IE version 8.0.6001.18702 which I am assuming is the latest available to me. No Microsoft Update has offered a newer version to me.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's see if Bigaldoc (or others) can view the video you linked to in IE8 on Windows XP.

(I don't have a computer with Windows XP available for testing)
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

hlewton wrote:Now about the You Tube, have you checked that today? I ask because until today You Tube worked for me as well. I would be curious to know if yours still works since we seem to have the identical versions of both XP SP3 and the latest version of IE 8 installed. If it does would you mind trying this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTVigW357H4 because that is the one that tells me that You Tube no longer works with my version of IE
Yes, I tried it just before I made my post.

I just tried your link and it too works just fine for me. I think mebbe you should uninstall Flash Player and get a new copy. Be sure you get the correct version for IE.

Added: But, being the bigot that I am, I still think you'd be better off with Firefox...

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I will have to give your suggestion a try but I did reinstall Flash player today from that link you see in the attachment. I still have to wonder why 3 of my computers act identically. Thanks for checking out the link.
Regards,
hlewton