Opera 10.50 - opening links in emails

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Opera 10.50 - opening links in emails

Post by IanWilson »

I've still got an issue with Opera 10.50 and links in emails, like those in Lounge reply notifications. (I uninstalled the beta by the way, before I installed the final version of 10.50.)

What happens now is that
  • if Opera is not already open and I click a link, Opera opens, with one tab of my home page (Google) and one tab of the "Speed Dial" page. It doesn't go to the Lounge page in question.
  • If Opera is already open and I click a link in an email then Opera opens a new tab at the Lounge page in question.
  • I tried changing the default browser to Firefox, and then what happens is that clicking a link makes Firefox open and go to the correct Lounge page.
  • What used to happen with Opera 10.10 was that if Opera was not already open, then clicking a link would open Opera with one tab of my home page, and one tab at the correct Lounge page.
I had hoped that then changing the default browser back to Opera would induce Windows to reset things right, but it doesn't - I'm back to the behaviour in the first two bullets above. From which I suspect that this is some kind of Opera thing not some kind of Windows thing

Ian

Edited to add - I have also tried completely uninstalling Opera and reinstalling it. Still the same.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Opera 10.50 - opening links in emails

Post by jonwallace »

My installation works fine from Thunderbird, here (at home) and at work. BUT my wife's installation (upgraded when the final came out) doesn't. I have vague memories of doing something to fix this waaayyy back during the 10 betas, and if it comes back to me I'll post back.

Actually, at work I installed the Thunderbrowse add-on, disabled all the browsing features and set it to open links in an external browser (opera). That way my PC still has IE as its default browser if Computer Services come round... (a lot of NHS apps don't work in anything other than/newer than IE6 :sad: )
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

jonwallace wrote:My installation works fine from Thunderbird, here (at home) and at work. BUT my wife's installation (upgraded when the final came out) doesn't. I have vague memories of doing something to fix this waaayyy back during the 10 betas, and if it comes back to me I'll post back.

Actually, at work I installed the Thunderbrowse add-on, disabled all the browsing features and set it to open links in an external browser (opera). That way my PC still has IE as its default browser if Computer Services come round... (a lot of NHS apps don't work in anything other than/newer than IE6 :sad: )
Thanks. If it helps, I'm using Outlook for emails.

Ian

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

IanWilson wrote:
jonwallace wrote:My installation works fine from Thunderbird, here (at home) and at work. BUT my wife's installation (upgraded when the final came out) doesn't. I have vague memories of doing something to fix this waaayyy back during the 10 betas, and if it comes back to me I'll post back.

Ian
I don't know why, but it has now started behaving normally again!

Ian

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

IanWilson wrote:
IanWilson wrote:

Ian
I don't know why, but it has now started behaving normally again!

Ian
. . . or not. This morning, the first time I clicked a link in an email, it opened Opera with only a tab of my home page and the speed dial page. But I then closed Opera and clicked the link again, and it opened the Lounge thread. I'm confused!

Ian

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Ian,

Have a look at this thread from the Opera forums and see if it helps.

I know this is easy to say after the fact, but I think this is the fix I was referring to up there a bit...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

jonwallace wrote:Ian,

I know this is easy to say after the fact, but I think this is the fix I was referring to up there a bit...
Thanks. I'll have a good look at this tomorrow and see if I can use that advice.

Ian

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

IanWilson wrote:
jonwallace wrote:Ian,

Thanks. I'll have a good look at this tomorrow and see if I can use that advice.

Ian
Thanks. That sorts out most of the issues (especially what happens if I click a link in an email).

I still have one unresolved point though. As in the OP's second post in that thread at the Opera forum, I do still get a message like this
Cannot find file.jpg
when I click on a shortcut I have saved to a particular Google document (although it does still open the browser and the document despite the error message).

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.