FF keeps creating a 'Downloads' folder

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

FF keeps creating a 'Downloads' folder

Post by stuck »

Anyone know if the bug that makes FF create a Download folder: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=474718 and that has irritated FF users throughout the life of FF 3.6 (it wasn't an issue with 3.5), finally got fixed in FF4?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: FF keeps creating a 'Downloads' folder

Post by HansV »

I didn't experience this problem with Firefox 3.6 and I don't with Firefox 4...
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:I didn't experience this problem with Firefox 3.6 and I don't with Firefox 4...
It creates a download folder in "My documents" or whatever folder is used as "My documents" (in SE version "Hämtade filer"). I've only used Fx 4 with Windows 7, so far, and since there already is a download folder there, it will use it by default. But on Windows XP, it will create a folder as soon as you run it, at least here.
2011-04-08_A.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It happens on both my work PC and my PC at home but as often happens as soon as you post something here you finally come across a lead in Google:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5&start=22
The workaround is simply to click Tools | Options and then select a tab OTHER than the 'General' tab and OK out of the dialog. Then close FF and delete the offending Downloads folder before restarting FF.

Seems to be working for me here at work.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The link in your first post mentioned that a Downloads folder was created on the desktop. I've never seen that.
But yes, Fx3.6 creates a Downloads folder in My Documents on XP, and I think Fx4 does too. It doesn't bother me. (I would be annoyed if it were created on my desktop)
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I've only ever seen it appear in My Docs, never on the desktop.

It's only my obsessive compulsive side that gets irritated by this, because I've already got a dedicated downloads folder named as I wish.

Now that I know, I can see that it's the act of selecting the 'General' tab that triggers the creation of the folder.

Ken

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Never had any FF trouble, all my downloads are saved to the desktop, just below the Recycle Bin. Then after using them, its a short drag and drop to delete or move to wherever I want to keep them.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I've no problems with Fx, and I have a dedicated Downloads folder on one of the partitions; the one created by Fx is not in use, if it was it would add some serious amount of GBs to the backups of Documents etc. (as my backup scheme is set up).
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

The bug report shows they tried a fix in the latest trunk builds but it did not work, the bug is still not fixed. The target milestone for fixing this bug is mozilla2.2, that means they are not planning to fix it in any Firefox 4.0.* security/stability release, but are aiming to fix it in the next major release.
Tony

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thank you Tony for the clarification.

Now I know what the trigger is I can live with FF creating this folder unbidden.

Ken