Firefox 4 released

TonyE
3StarLounger

Firefox 4 released

Post by TonyE »

Firefox 4 has been released and is available from http://www.mozilla.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mozilla are also planning to making the update available for Firefox 3.5 and 3.6 users by using the "Help > Check for updates" feature, but I just checked and it has not been switched on yet.
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox 4 released

Post by HansV »

Thanks! It's available through Help | Update now, at least for me:
x120.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

The update option is now available for me.

One thing to note, the new style UI with the orange Firefox button instead of the menus is only the default on Windows Vista and Windows 7. To switch between the the new style UI and the old style menu bar, right-click on a toolbar and click on the "Menu bar" entry to toggle displaying it.

If the menu bar is hidden, you can press either Alt or F10 to temporarily display it, this is useful if trying to access a menu command that is not available on the Firefox button.
Tony

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

TonyE wrote:Firefox 4 has been released and is available from http://www.mozilla.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mozilla are also planning to making the update available for Firefox 3.5 and 3.6 users by using the "Help > Check for updates" feature, but I just checked and it has not been switched on yet.
Quick and easy update. Available from the built in updater or direct download.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I was offered the update to Firefox 4 automatically when I started Firefox just now.
It was a fairly painless upgrade, once I found where all the menus had hidden.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I had the Beta 9 installed but hadn't run it very much lately. I just uninstalled it and removed its profile. I hope that was the right thing to do.

I guess I'll see as soon as I download 4.0

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

The upgrade was fine, bar four extensions no longer compatible, and having to put back the Menu Bar, and to change the Tabs to where they were before.

However, my logon details for all websites appear to have been removed, so I have to look them all up. Grrrh.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Like John, I've got a few addons not longer compatible. (Yet?) And one I use every day is "Copy URL" which I learned of from Leif a long time ago.

Let me see if Alan Miller's old javascript still works: Dog honored for helping to save neighbor | Neighbors | Kentucky.com

In a manner of speaking, it does. I'll need to keep an eye out for that Copy URL is SO HELPFUL.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I know that none of you purists want to hear this, but I was hoping that they had finally fixed Fx so that I could display a LOCAL persona instead of one of the THOUSANDS that they have shown.

I simply like to have the logo of my local university displayed in the right hand end of the header but no such luck so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Bigaldoc wrote:Like John, I've got a few addons not longer compatible. (Yet?) And one I use every day is "Copy URL" which I learned of from Leif a long time ago.
An alternative to Copy URL that is compatible with Firefox 4 is CoLT - http://www.borngeek.com/firefox/colt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

1 laptop, 1 desktop + 2 FF v 4
On my LT, I did a clean install of my OS using a system image, with nothing changed and only Acronis installed, all updates inc. SP1.
On my DT it was an auto update. Both went well, but I don't like the transparent top section, as the buttons were invisible after setting to my preference.
This is my set up:-
RR.JPG
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Bigaldoc wrote:I know that none of you purists want to hear this, but I was hoping that they had finally fixed Fx so that I could display a LOCAL persona instead of one of the THOUSANDS that they have shown.
I've never used a persona, except maybe for a few minutes, but I think it's not too difficult to create your own.

Meanwhile, I do see some similar results for http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/galler ... p=kentucky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

jscher2000 wrote:I've never used a persona, except maybe for a few minutes, but I think it's not too difficult to create your own.

Meanwhile, I do see some similar results for http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/galler ... p=kentucky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Jefferson, but I've got a couple I created a couple of years ago when the version of Fx at the time would let you choose one from your local drive rather than the page you linked to.

Most of the ones Fx has listed are way too "splashy" for me, cluttering up the whole of the top of the screen. I just want something at the right end like this attachment. There has always been the possibility of submitting but I didn't want to do that. But today I broke down and submitted the one in this attachment.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

TonyE wrote:An alternative to Copy URL that is compatible with Firefox 4 is CoLT - http://www.borngeek.com/firefox/colt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Tony, I've now installed it. A bit more "work" than the CopyURL which was one click. (The CopyURL author's blog page has been removed, so I don't imagine it'll be updated.)

In case anyone is interested, Alan Miller's old bookmarklet(s) still work also.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

That Firefox menu button top left looks just like what you get in Opera!

Ian

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Terrible bein' old and not able to remember what ya had for supper last night! I just installed 4.0 yesterday and...

Is it my imagination or did they change the order in the context menu of the "open tab" and "open window" ???

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Bigaldoc wrote:Is it my imagination or did they change the order in the context menu of the "open tab" and "open window" ???
In my 3.16 version, the order is the reverse of what you have in your attachment. Perhaps they decided it was best to put the options in alphabetical order???

(As I generally open new tabs with a centre mouse-click, I would have to look for where the 'new window' option is anyway...)
Leif